I'm not the only one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
home-design.jpg

Finally, my math disorder has been recognized with a tee shirt!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also have numerous recognitions, but I won't show them .. for being messy .. If I show the pics, it will be 9 pages long!:LOL:

The big bedroom is still awaiting tidying up. Done the walls. The toilet is fairly OK.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, now I know why I am fairy good at some Maths, just like @Colin .. need to look after the pennies .. as I have to spend so much on plants.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm still OK with maths; possibly because I use maths a lot in the workshop but these days we are made increasingly lazy with modern electronic kit; I used to use a slide rule then the calculator replaced it; in the workshop for many years I used my Micrometers and verniers whilst working at the lathe now I generally use my Digital Vernier calipers unless I want greater accuracy then I revert back to using the Micrometers. I can turn on the lathe to an accuracy of a tenth of of a thou (0.0001") If I want to accurately measure something like a machine shaft then I use the Micrometer but if I'm turning a new shaft for something unimportant then I can measure a bearing with the Digital caliper then use the same caliper to turn the shaft; my digital caliper is a couple of thou out (0.002") but as long as I use the same calliper it doesn't matter because after all I'm only using the caliper as a comparison.

It's the same with English; I was taught correct English during my school years but now I don't bother too much about spelling errors because of spelling/grammar checks; I type out the text then run the spell checker; here on the forum the spelling is checked automatically but on forums in general I find I have to correct the spelling checker because it's based on American spelling. No offence meant to any American members but I'm English and I'm a dinosaur taught by old fashioned teachers the lessons based on the Oxford Dictionary;

Definition of color from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

color

BrE /ˈkʌlə(r)/

; NAmE /ˈkʌlər/

(especially US English)

= colour, colourYou will find most words formed with color at the spelling colour.See

Just an example above of COLOUR.

I'm sure alp & Logan you know exactly what I'm on about and fully understand all about micrometers and verniers etc? :D (y) :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Micrometers and verniers are measuring devices Logan and I'm not surprised you don't know what they are; as a mechanical engineering apprentice 55 years ago I was taught how to use these and have used them ever since but they tend to be used in industry or home workshops for measuring to very fine limits.

upload_2017-12-3_14-29-8.png

Here's what one of my micrometers looks like; the item being measured is placed between the anvils and the thimble is gently turned by the knurled ratchet seen top right until the anvils close on the item being measured; the ratchet then clicks not allowing further tightening otherwise a false reading would occur. This Micrometer measures to an accuracy of one ten thousandth of an inch (0.0001"). When I'm in the workshop I do lots of this measuring so I'm very familiar using them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer

Micrometers and vernier calipers now come as electronic measuring instruments; the micrometer above is the old style manual type but I tend to use my digital vernier caliper for general work; the digital ones are very easy to use as long as the "Zero" is set. Here's a digital vernier calliper; these can be bought on eBay quite cheaply;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipers#Digital_caliper

upload_2017-12-3_14-43-44.png

I can learn a lot from you Logan and other forum members regarding gardening because I'm still a gardening novice but I'm more at home in industry and in my workshop then I come into my own; it's highly likely you'll never need to use such instruments but at least you now know they exist. (y);) 55 years in mechanical engineering and still I know very little.

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was very bad at math in high school, but when I attended college, I got an A in every course. I guess the difference was having to pay for it! :ROFLMAO: I can do math, but it helps to put an imaginary $ sign in front of the numbers!!

I will say that it got easier once I convinced myself that math is a language. I decided that the numbers were the nouns. Some of the symbols (like exponents, or plus and minus, divide or multiply) were verbs, because they tell you which action to take with the numbers nouns. The other symbols (like lesser than/greater than, equal/unequal signs,) were the adverbs and adjectives, because they gave further description.

I love learning language, so that worked for me! (y)

Ask a Question