Is this normal ?

Reaction score
I have an Avocado tree in my backyard that is basically fully grown and in a good healthy state, but, for some reason it only carries at most six or seven Avocados. Is this normal for such a big tree ? I live in the northern part of South Africa with a good warm climate.

Reaction score
How old is the tree? Commercial avocados are productive for 35 years but the tree will live for 100. You could try pruning it or grafting young branches onto it. If you learn how to graft you can put any kind of fruit on a tree. My friend has 4 fruits that he grafted onto a maple stump!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may be a pollination issue. Many Avocado (Persea americana) can self-pollinate to some degree, but most will set a much better crop with cross pollination from another cultivar. With avocado, there are two pollination types. Cultivars that are Type A will have receptive stigmas (female) in the morning and will later release pollen (male) in the afternoon of the following day. Type B cultivars will show the opposite pattern. You will do best to plant at least one cultivar each of Type A and type B. If your tree is a seedling or unknown cultivar, observe the flowers to determine its Type. if you are looking at the flowers that closely you might also attempt artificial self-pollination to improve your yield. Oddly enough, in cooler climates, the timing of fertility in avocado flowers becomes less precise allowing for more self-pollination.

You cannot graft any fruit tree onto your Avocado, though you could conceivably graft on another Avocado cultivar to improve pollination. The remark about four fruits being grafted onto a maple (Acer) stump is also doubtlessly incorrect.

Ask a Question