Is this normal growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off does anyone know the name of these bushes? Secondly, when i bought this house 5 years ago all of these bushes looked like the bottom picture. Now they are changing to the upper picture. Is that a normal progression.
20170518_111702.jpg
20170518_111655.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow how cool. That's some type of holly, and yes they get spikier and sometimes darker green as they mature.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @acalkins1957 , welcome to the forums. I think your holly is called ''Ilex mutchagara'' If it is, i would call it ''mutch aggro'' :unsure: because it can grow extremely large. It would however make a superb wind break - but if it were in my garden I would get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @acalkins1957 , welcome to the forums. I thi
20170518_122835.jpg
nk your holly is called ''Ilex mutchagara'' If it is, i would call it ''mutch aggro'' :unsure: because it can grow extremely large. It would however make a superb wind break - but if it were in my garden I would get rid of it.

I have at least 20 of them in my yard and I trim them every year. They don't seem to be unmanageable. Thx for the replies btw. I am curious tho as to why you would get rid of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, what a lovely space you have there....lovely! It is of course just a personal choice, and as this holly is a fast grower, and prickly, it would just be extra work for me. I already have a very long Lleylandii hedge on my patch which needs constant cutting to keep it in order. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow its looks beautiful. I think Its use for ground bass gardening and easy to clean.

Ask a Question