Is this grass or weed/moss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!
Am new here,looking for advice on why my lawn is patchy,pretty sure i have a drainage problem in these areas as it's always been the case for the past twenty years that there's been moss in these areas of the lawn. Annoying as the rest of the small lawn is quite good.
I raked and scarified the patches earlier this year and re-seeded, aireated the whole lawn with a pitchfork,looked good for a while and again now i find the grass is dead again and in it's place is what i think is a weed or a mossy type of shoot,very deep roots.
Can anyone confirm it's a moss and any advice on how to cure this issue?

Attachments

• lawn_overview.jpg
    lawn_overview.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 17
  • patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 15
  • what is this 2.jpg
    what is this 2.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 12
  • what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is usually sterile, so flowering and seed are not a problem. Digging it out works, but it is very easy to leave just a tiny bit of that root, and then it is off again. In other words, it is a real bugger. One solution is glyphosate weed killer, several applications and kill off the entire lawn, then till it and start over. A bit drastic, but it is supposed to work. Don't let it get in your beds around the lawn, it will grow right through the root systems of your plants, near impossible to get out without ruining the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the very late reply. Thank you all for your advice. I decided in the end to leave it and I have been cutting it fairly short and leaving the clippings sit on top and its come back nice and green so from a distance it looks fine, it's just too much work for me to kill it off and re-seed it or re-turf it. I would like a perfect lush bowling style lawn but it's never going to happen in my lifetime.
My rear garden,however,has real issues with weeds which i shall post pics of another time,it needs nuking and starting again.

Attachments

• lawn.jpg
    lawn.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the very late reply. Thank you all for your advice. I decided in the end to leave it and I have been cutting it fairly short and leaving the clippings sit on top and its come back nice and green so from a distance it looks fine, it's just too much work for me to kill it off and re-seed it or re-turf it. I would like a perfect lush bowling style lawn but it's never going to happen in my lifetime.
My rear garden,however,has real issues with weeds which i shall post pics of another time,it needs nuking and starting again.
You have it looking good. Thanks for posting and keep us updated.

Ask a Question