Grass weeds invading garden plots

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
we have a small community garden with 15 raised beds. the surrounding grass has been invading into some of our plots. one of the gardeners asked if the garden could be mulched but that has been expensive in the past. are there any other alternative solutions? thank you!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I use cover crops extensively for weed control as well as soil building/replenishment. Works for me.

In Summers, I use Sunn Hemp and field peas

july 20.JPG

In late summer/fall/winter I use alfalfa

alfalfa 2 2022.JPG

That's about as close to 100% weed control as one can get. Plus, you get significant soil building....no artificial synthetic fertilizers required here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
we have a small community garden with 15 raised beds. the surrounding grass has been invading into some of our plots. one of the gardeners asked if the garden could be mulched but that has been expensive in the past. are there any other alternative solutions? thank you!
I solve this problem in my garden by sewing clover - this seems to supress the grass. The clover does grow into the beds, but it's very easily pulled up and is good for the beds.

When we mow the lawn we leave a 1 foot border around the beds that we only mow every so often. This results in clouds of fluffy clover with the beds nestled inside it. It looks nice - if you like a natural look.

I don't know if it's necessary, but we sewed tiny plug trays with clover early in the season and pocket planted them into the grass around the beds. It very quickly established a border of clover.

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
are you suggesting using a cover crop in the areas surrounding the plots? if yes, how does one do that? sorry, i don't know much about gardening.

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you meadowlark and susan bbpm for the cover crop ideas! i will look into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
are you suggesting using a cover crop in the areas surrounding the plots? if yes, how does one do that? sorry, i don't know much about gardening.
Not sure if you're asking that of me, but here's how I did it. I just put a border around each bed, so we still mow the grass. You could of course cover the entire area with clover but if there's a lot of foot traffic it might not cope well.

If you're using clover, the best time to do it is spring. You could put down some old planks of wood or cardboard over winter (you'd need to weight it so it doesn't blow away). This would kill off any grass and weeds. Then in spring, sew your seed and cover with a sprinkling of compost. Make sure you keep the soil most until it's established.

Another way i've done it that worked equally well and without the need to kill the grass first was to sew in plug trays. Then plant the plugs out spaced a few inches apart. Just use a trowel to dig a slit in the ground - open the slit up by wiggling your knife/trowel and pop in the plug. It quickly grew and smothered the grass. Just cut the grass down really low before planting. Of course, how you plant the plugs will depend upon soil type - pocket planting worked well in my clay soil as the clay naturally closes around anything you put in the ground.

I've used both red and white clover. White is best for this as it doesn't grow too tall.

Keep in mind that I'm in the UK with a mild climate.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No absolutely not. A cover crop is to cover the intended garden space. You didn't show us a location, so it is difficult to recommend a type specifically for your area.

I use cover crops to enable crop rotation, replenish soils, and control weeds. Some types work better than others, but your climate will largely dictate that. The thicker the cover the better the weed control, and of course soil replenishment.... reference the pictures I posted above. There were zero weeds growing in those plots.

Using this system, it is important to have continuous coverage, i.e., either an actual crop or a cover crop growing 24/7/365. That provides the maximum benefits. Hence, you probably will need to find warm weather covers and cool weather covers. That's why I posted both above. Leaving your garden space exposed is just an invite to weeds to "come on in"...and they certainly will.

Keeping it covered will remarkedly reduce your weed problems, build your soils, reduce insect/fungus problems, reduce/eliminate the need for synthetic fertilizers, and prepare your soil for each new crop. That is what it has done for me for several decades.

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi, sorry for the belated reply. thanks susan bbpm and meadowlark again for the cover crop tips. i also checked with a local source (i am in hawaii) and they said cover crops are not for walkways and that's basically all we have. plus they mentioned that they are more for cooler weather which we don't have. we are looking into covering with cardboard, or maybe wood chips/mulch (even though people are saying the weeds will grow right through that) or in buying a manual lawn edger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
hi, sorry for the belated reply. thanks susan bbpm and meadowlark again for the cover crop tips. i also checked with a local source (i am in hawaii) and they said cover crops are not for walkways and that's basically all we have. plus they mentioned that they are more for cooler weather which we don't have. we are looking into covering with cardboard, or maybe wood chips/mulch (even though people are saying the weeds will grow right through that) or in buying a manual lawn edger.
What about weed barrier on your paths covered with woodchips? That would keep weeds at bay for years.

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi susan bbpm, we probably will do what you suggested. lay down either a weed barrier or some cardboard and then put wood chips on top. tx so much !

Ask a Question