Is this a weed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!
I thought, this was a Camassia plant in my garden but obviously not! (As I have them planted near this one) It looks like a grass or something and has this flower head already... any idea what this is???
A270C06C-F157-42AD-9481-1EE049F09641.jpeg
A88F71EC-4886-4E58-8CE5-7BF574BAABE2.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome jean27. :) That looks like a wild grass called 'Yorkshire Fog' to me. Considered to be a weed, it will gradually take over your garden given the chance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes , looks like Carex pendula (Pendulous Sedge) ; can be invasive and you'll find young plants appearing everywhere .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal
Are you 100% sure that the plant pictured is Holcus lanatus ; the leaves just look too broad to me .

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like Carex pendula to me. I grew it as an interesting grass in Essex. Gave some to a friend in Devon and it took over their garden. His wife is still not talking to me. In Devon it can be an invasive weed, due to the higher rainfall. Dig out rather than pull out as it will shred your hands quite happily.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To be quite honest , I've never even heard of 'Yorkshire Fog' as relating to a plant ; shows that only botanical names will do .
If it is Carex pendula , it can be a real pain in the ar*e as it seems to seed around everywhere .

Ask a Question