Is this a small Washingtonia or just grass?

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone,

I hope this message of mine finds the reader in good health and spirits.

I’ve been observing that a small plant has automatically come out, beside my small Washingtonia plant, in the same pot.

To make myself clear, I’m enclosing a picture of this mystery plant. Please advise if this is actually a new Washingtonia or just grass, thank you.

Attachments

• D810FED1-89F3-4111-B0DF-5487290CA14E.jpeg
    D810FED1-89F3-4111-B0DF-5487290CA14E.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nutsedges are a perennial and sometimes called Nutgrass. Nutsedges or Cyperus is a large genus of about 700 species of sedges. They grow in areas that get a lot of water and can be very difficult to get rid by hand. The plant sprouts from a nut shaped tuber below the ground and can resprout many times from one nut. Nutsedges can be a problem and be difficult to stop because the nuts are deep in the ground. Where I live, we have two known treatments for sedge, one is called Sedgehammer and the other is called Dismiss. I haven't use them but a lot of people swear by Sedgehammer being the best. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question