Is my blueberry bush dying?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got it a couple weeks ago, and ive never attempted something like this before, and I cant find many resources so I was hoping to get some info from someone experienced. On the leaves I noticed its changing color and one small leaf turned brown on the edges. There has been new growth, like new leaves and it is taller but I dont know. Please help?
20170402_171812.jpg
20170402_171755.jpg
20170402_171755.jpg

Attachments

• 20170402_171751.jpg
    20170402_171751.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
Country
United States
We have owned a you-pick blueberry farm for nearly five years. I have noticed that the old parts of the bushes die off quickly and it is not uncommon for a branch to randomly die. However, if the soil ph is not correct, the bush will not thrive and may even die. The ph should be between 4 and 5. I would recommend sending your soil to be tested.

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Check the soil. Likely it's too dry. Blueberry roots are quite shallow. They need to be mulched to retain what moisture they receive for a while. The problem sounds like it is either that it is too dry which seems likely given the season, or that they are too wet and the roots are rotting. Did you put in lots of coarse material, stones or crocks, to ensure good drainage? I can see some on the surface but perhaps it's not great deep down in the soil. Did you recently fertilize it at all too?
Over fertilization tends to make the leaves dark green, but at the same time browning occurs on the leaf tips and leaf edges and then works its way to the center of the leaf which is why I ask.
Have a look at this site: http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/berrytool/blueberry/leaves/BBleafbrowning.htm Might give you some pointers as to why it's browning. Although, it might also be the conditions it was kept in before purchase. Do you know the conditions it was kept in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check the soil. Likely it's too dry. Blueberry roots are quite shallow. They need to be mulched to retain what moisture they receive for a while. The problem sounds like it is either that it is too dry which seems likely given the season, or that they are too wet and the roots are rotting. Did you put in lots of coarse material, stones or crocks, to ensure good drainage? I can see some on the surface but perhaps it's not great deep down in the soil. Did you recently fertilize it at all too?
Over fertilization tends to make the leaves dark green, but at the same time browning occurs on the leaf tips and leaf edges and then works its way to the center of the leaf which is why I ask.
Have a look at this site: http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/berrytool/blueberry/leaves/BBleafbrowning.htm Might give you some pointers as to why it's browning. Although, it might also be the conditions it was kept in before purchase. Do you know the conditions it was kept in?
Got it from meijers, and I used the dirt it came with along with some dirt by a nearby river

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I see. Maybe the store was the culprit for this, but I wouldn't think it as such because the colour changed only recently and you said you bought it weeks ago. I looked up the soil that blueberry bushes like and I found this - 'Plant in moist, well-drained, acidic soil in a sunny, sheltered spot. While blueberries are tolerant of shade, better crops (and autumn colour) are obtained in the sun. Blueberries are very fussy about soil acidity, and they will not grow well if planted in the wrong type of soil.'
It could be that the soil you used by the river is not acidic enough and/or you're not growing it in the right spot. Have you always had the plant outside?

Reaction score
The solution, if the soil is not acidic, is to buy some special compost and grow it in a container.

They do very well in containers, but build up size slowly,at the moment it is a midget plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its currently in a container right now, and I think I will try mulching to raise acidity thanks everyone for the advice!

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, move the plant to a bigger (and not plastic) container. I'd do that now before the bush gets bigger. Plastic and sun do not bode well.

Ask a Question