Blueberry Bush Transplantation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I live in Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6A). 2 years ago, I bought 4 blueberry bushes and planted them in a patch, and planted a 5th bush on my patio in a pot. I think due to the hours of sunlight, only the porch blueberry has done well - the patch blueberries seem to putter along and what few fruits they do produce are eaten by animals.

This year, I was hoping to move a few of my patch blueberries to large pots on the patio to try to improve their sun exposure and production.

Although I would generally just wait until later in the spring, it's been unseasonably warm this year and it looks like there may only be 1 more frost anticipated in the next week - past this, the historic lows are 32 exactly.

Am I safe to transplant the bushes now, or should I wait?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blueberrys require acidic soil. If your native soils are not acidic you will not have good luck. Most potting soil are slightly acidic to neutral so if your soils are alkaline move them into a 50/50 mixture of peat. They also need more water than most other plants. Transplant now while they are still dormant.

Ask a Question