Pruning blueberry bush

Reaction score
Country
United States
I transplanted an old blueberry bush a couple of months ago. It has 4 or 5 stems varying from and inch to about an inch ans one quarter. They're all 18" or less in height. It took a while, but a couple of buds started out from the base of one of the stems. Now, all the stems have the beginnings of new branches. Should I cut off any of these very woody stems, leave the plant alone, or do something else. I'm not concerned about getting blueberries this season, and actually doubt if I will, from this plant.

Thanks.

The NSTAG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The aim is to keep a supply of young wood. I remove the oldest wood every spring, all thin and spindly stems. A feed plus an ericaceous mulch follows
Remember, you need at least 2 different varieties, ideally 3, for good crops NSTAG :)
It is good you are prepared to forgo fruit now in order to build up a decent bushy framework ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The aim is to keep a supply of young wood. I remove the oldest wood every spring, all thin and spindly stems. A feed plus an ericaceous mulch follows
Remember, you need at least 2 different varieties, ideally 3, for good crops NSTAG :)
It is good you are prepared to forgo fruit now in order to build up a decent bushy framework ;)
Sounds like I need to cut the wood stems, then, even though they're all putting out new growth (?). The five plants I had in the row, before I transplanted the plant in question, haven't been all that productive. I'll try the addition of ericaceous mulch, and may sprinkle some coffee grinds also. Sorry for the slow response, but I was having login problems that miraculously went away.

Thanks.

NSAG (not NSTAG)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry NSAG, an ericaceous mulch wont work....its about the alkalinity of your soil that will percolate into your blueberry. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry NSAG, an ericaceous mulch wont work....its about the alkalinity of your soil that will percolate into your blueberry. :)
Cut the wood stems, then, leaving the new ones, all of which are growing from the base, correct? Now, in the fall, or early next spring?

Ask a Question