Is It REALLY Organic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do agree with poster Headfullofbees when he says "we just do what we can." I had a great laugh at that. At the end of the day we do go quite some distance to do what we know ought to be done in a right way - eat as healthy as we can, have a home garden, check the label of every item we buy and so much more. Eating organic can also be quite expensive and it's so difficult to totally avoid all the processed foods everywhere we go.

As best as we can we should do what we can do. I know people in California and Florida with fruit trees in their backyards but they don't eat those fruits when they are on the trees or fell to the ground. They buy these same fruits at the supermarket because they think they were sprayed so they are cleaner. I eat my fruits from my home trees. I eat a lot of vegetables that I personally grow. But I do have times when I eat non organic, processed foods. It's hard to say in many cases what's organic and what's not, so I just doing what I can.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think being organic is using things that are natural and not synthetic or anything that is processed and manufactured. Examples of inorganic fertilizers are those what we can buy in commercial gardening shops. I also think that being and staying organic is a way to safeguard our consumers that they only haave safe and healthy food that we will deliver to the tables of the consumers all over the world. The thing about using organic seeds but use dirty waste water for watering may not be organic and may have been contaminated and the products that it will bear will neither be tasty or nutritious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree that we can only do what we can. Organic to me means non GMO grown food products with minimal amounts of chemicals. You can't purely avoid pollutants or toxins these days since that stuff gets carried in the wind, rain, other weather conditions. However compared to other commercially grown food, there's a significantly less amount of garbage in the food. That and I hate GMOs- the DNA from those crops aren't properly broken down when we ingest them, leading to health issues later on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also agree that we have to try to just do what we can to make our food as organic and free of pesticides as we can. Unfortunately, our soil and environment is so toxic. I really think that the majority of chronic illness in the United States today is because our food and water is so toxic our bodies are becoming over burdened and not able to rid themselves of all the chemicals. I have never thought of putting rain barrels out to collect water to water the garden. I am definitely going to get some rain barrels and do that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You still get some chemicals in your rain water but its still better than what you get from you city water. You can save on your water bill too buy using rain water in your garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My organic these last few days is having more nuts added to my diet with more water too. have fresh fruits whenever I can instead of the ones from tin cans and I go lightly on fried foods in my general diet. Of course I cheat every now and again, but for the most part I stay on the best healthy side I can manage.

Reaction score
I buy organic for a number of reasons. I want assurance that my seeds are not genetically modified. I am doing all that I can to minimize my exposure to carcingens when I have an option to do so. I want to do what I can to help the earth by rejecting the use of poisons to grow food. Industry follows the money. When I buy organic I am showing companies where they should be focusing their efforts. The more that buy organic, the more organic is available and the more costs go down. Our planet is dying. If I have a choice not to dump more blue stuff on the soil that is going to wash downstream and pollute our river systems, I am going to take it. I have two kids. I would rather they not grow up in the conditions we see in countries where chemical pollution has run rampant.

Does contamination creep into things? Of course. Am I 100% purist and only buy organic ever? Not everything is available here in organic format and doing so gets pricey. I do as much as I can. Lack of 100% perfection would be a seriously flawed way of thinking and is never a reason throw up arms and do nothing.

Ask a Question