Is gardening season ending or beginning in your part of the world?

Reaction score
Gardening season is pretty much year round in Washington. We do get snow here, but I don't think the ground freezes long enough for all plants to suffer. We just have to rotate what we grow around here depending on the season.

We get something similar over here :) No snow, at least not in my city, but the plants and ground do freeze during the coldest months. It's kinda boring when I think about it tho.

Reaction score
It's over for sure here. It didn't wind down, and we haven't had a hard frost, but it went from 60's and 70's to high 30's and 40's everyday with no nice days here and there to get out and clean things up. Late spring/summer, early fall. This Gardening year has been horrible.

Unless we get a day that is at least in the 50's I might have a slow start next spring as I'll have to start with my fall clean up! I keep telling myself that when I get a day in the 40's in the spring I'm happy and out in the garden, but it's not helping. Coming out of Summer, not Winter, my body just can't move in these low temperatures. Sure do need an Indian Summer here. Just one or two days is all I ask for, that isn't much, is it?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I live in Kenya in the central highlands. This is a tropical zone. The end of one gardening season marks the beginning of another. Right now, we are approaching the end of the maize gardening season. A dry spell has commenced and farmers are now stocking on inputs for the long rains which commence from March to May.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is the season we are preparing our gardens waiting for the rain which will start raining as from next month. We are making sure that we clean the fields and dig to kill weeds and loosen the soil. This is the time to buy seeds and fertiliser to get ready for the planting season. We are also fencing to ensure that we keep other domestic animals away from the gardens. For now there are few crops in the garden. We harvested most of the crops last month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I live in the tropics, so I would not say that we have a special season for gardening over here. People plant all year round. I think the best time to plant, though, is just before the rainy season comes in. Right now it is fairly dry, even though we get one or two showers every now and then. I would say that in a month or two from now, would be the best time for planting. We have no winter here. There are just 2 seasons that we recognize - the hot, wet season, and the cool, dry season which we are in right now.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are expecting rain this week with warm temperatures. My day lily plant's have started popping up. It is a little early to start planting, this area has about 3 more weeks before we will be clear to think about planting. We can still have another freezing spell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Winter hasn't come....yet. Trees usually begin to bud in February, but my tree is beginning to leaf out. I put three plants in the ground just in case the cold never hits, but I've got replacement seedlings indoors ready for planting four weeks from now. I'd stated that daffodils hadn't come out yet. I don't have any, so that's why, until the other day, I hadn't realized that they'd already come and gone. So we either have a false start, or an early Spring.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Here in Kenya, we are in the harvesting season of maize after cessation of the El Nino rains. There is currently a short dry spell. Preparations for the long rains which start from March to May is now commencing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody, well it is just starting to get warm here and stay warm. I think that thus is the first full week of it being decent temperatures through the week, yet it is supposed to rain and have thunderstorms like every day thus week. Still excited though. The start of a beautiful beginning.
Sorry I love spring and summer because of the temperatures and being able to start something from scratch and watch it grow into a beautiful creation.

Ask a Question