Winter Gardening Is Just What We Need To Get Through The Chilliest Season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Found this short article with video talking about gardening over the winter season in the Huffington Post.

"In many parts of the country, the approach of winter signals the end to gardening season. Not quite, according to Richard Berry, an gardening expert in the video above."

Here is a link to the article.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
We do not have winter in our country, but we do have the rainy season. I can relate this to winter gardening because when it rains here, most crops die due to the floods. They also get uprooted by the wind. Though I like gardening, I find this season like my rest day. I can prepare for the next season and hope for the best. Kudos to those who are willing to do gardening in the winter though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wish we had the rainy season istead of winter here, in Poland. Winter is so awful:( I really hate it. It's just not possible to grow anything when my whole garden is covered with snow, so every year I focus on indoor plants. It makes me miss my lovely roses a little less.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do garden in the winter but that is only because I have a sheltered balcony and we don't get too too much snow! I don't grow much just usually potatoes, garlic, etc. It is fun. Can't stop just cause the sun isn't around as much :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You're so lucky, Megankl, having a a sheltered balcony is one of my biggest dreams:) They always look so pretty. If I had one, I would put two chairs there and billions of little flower pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love to winter garden indoors. I have plant lights that I pull out each year right around this time. I find that tomato plants grow very well in pots, even though the variety I grow reaches five feet. I think they do as well as they do because tomato plants don't have an extensive root system. I have attempted to grow lettuce and carrots in pots as well, but for some reason they always die on me. I even planted pumpkins one year. The flowers bloomed beautifully but the vines were half way across the room in no time and then the plants died. Live and learn.

Ask a Question