Is bonemeal attracting little flies to my indoor plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently repotted several houseplants (various) and added bonemeal to the soil (which I don't usually). Since then I've noticed several very small flies on and around all the repotted plants. How can I get rid of the flies without harming the plants? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The little flies are probably Fungus Gnats and they feed on decaying organic matter and fungi. The bonemeal has nothing to do with them. They like moisture so let the top inch or two of your soil dry out a little. When there are just a few of the flies sticky traps work well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The little flies are probably Fungus Gnats and they feed on decaying organic matter and fungi. The bonemeal has nothing to do with them. They like moisture so let the top inch or two of your soil dry out a little. When there are just a few of the flies sticky traps work well
Thanks for your response, Chuck. Very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well diluted household hydrogen peroxide can kill the larvae in the soil if keeping them a bit dryer doesn't help. Bone meal is good stuff, but it mostly supplies all the micro nutrients, as Chuck says, nothing the flies would want.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well diluted household hydrogen peroxide can kill the larvae in the soil if keeping them a bit dryer doesn't help. Bone meal is good stuff, but it mostly supplies all the micro nutrients, as Chuck says, nothing the flies would want.
Great, thanks for your input Oliver.

Ask a Question