Damp ground attracting all sorts!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please forgive my lack of knowledge of anything garden related! We recently moved into a rented accommodation and my concern has been that we get woodlice coming into the house from the front garden, we have sealed up a gap near the inside of the front door to prevent them from coming in but there are so many of them in the garden, inc. snails, slugs etc. I'm aware that every garden faces these issues, it just seems like this garden in particular attracts a lot of them (it seems the last tenant or even the landlord didn't give it any attention). My husband cuts the grass but we don't know how to treat the ground to prevent pests from being drawn to the damp ground. Is there a specific product i should be using? Also, my neighbour placed wood bark mulch, (if it's called that? :unsure: ) in his front garden, i haven't seen him to ask him what this costs and if this would solve our problem. I would love to hear your advice

Many thanks,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @New to gardening, and welcome to the forum.

All of the creatures you mention have their own little job to do in the garden, and the problem you are having with them is only that they appear to be coming into the house - right?
The thing to do about that is to clear all the debris away from your outside walls, and air vents etc. Block up any holes in window and door frames, and put the heating on low to dry the place out a bit. Woodlice look for cool damp places and so as soon as they are deprived of that in your house you will not see them in there.
When you have that bit sorted out, have a look at your garden space and see what you can do with that - you never know you may enjoy gardening as much as we all do. It is a super way to use your spare time, and you can create a lovely extra ''room'' out there :)

Ask a Question