Is anybody else seeing signs of climate change?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Climate change is all about political power. It was from the start by the people who thought it up to break the coal union's hold when it was called global warming. Right now Macron is learning what happens when people are tired of this control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say it's all about political power La Garden. Our climate is definitely changing but there are many politicians, scientists, media etc. that like to try and reap the benefits by scaremongering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It would be nice if it did not all go back to politics. Directly or indirectly it dose.
The climate is always changing, It is a good 10 degrees warmer outside right now then this morning when I first went outside--that is climate change. As others have already pointed out, real good records on temp only go back a few years. The US is the only place where it goes back over 100 years.
If you really want to do some looking dig into how NOAA and NASA have went back and changed data. The only problem with them changing some computer files is old news print/papers tells another story.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It would be nice if it did not all go back to politics. Directly or indirectly it dose.
The climate is always changing, It is a good 10 degrees warmer outside right now then this morning when I first went outside--that is climate change. As others have already pointed out, real good records on temp only go back a few years. The US is the only place where it goes back over 100 years.
If you really want to do some looking dig into how NOAA and NASA have went back and changed data. The only problem with them changing some computer files is old news print/papers tells another story.

Currently my muse is to introduce spinach as a meat curing compound that exceeds allowable limits for nitrate concentration. Calm yourself and avoid this form of advertising, which is new to us, but maybe not to the kids. If you allow your focus to become the focus of this advertising message, zombification happenz. Then all the enchanted speak with the same voice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have my own, tiny experiment regarding climate change. There is a certain day a year I pay close attention to since 1979. On that day, was my first wedding. So since then, of course I remember. I also remember the weather on that day. And since 1979 that certain day, the weather still is the same, identical, same sky, same temp. same puffy white clouds and the prettiest blue sky, same everything. so from that tiny little piece of information I will say, NOPE, have not seen climate change at all. Say what you will, to me there is no climate change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not too long ago people were raving about how China was taking the lead in going green; I thought that was crazy talk.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45640706

Excerpt:

The research, carried out by green campaigners CoalSwarm, suggests that 259 gigawatts of new capacity are under development in China.

The authors say this is the same capacity to produce electricity as the entire US coal fleet.

The study says government attempts to cancel many plants have failed.

According to this study, there was a surge in new coal projects approved at provincial level in China between 2014 and 2016. This happened because of a decentralisation programme that shifted authority over coal plant construction approvals to local authorities.

The report says that at present China has 993 gigawatts of coal power capacity, but the approved new plants would increase this by 25%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
It would seem that China needs a government that actually takes control of the country and what happens in it, whether the control of coal projects is run by local authorities or not. What is happening there is destroying what other nations on our planet are trying to achieve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Personally believe As the world Changes So does the Climate to Match. Cover the Planet in trees & The Climate would be vary different. Or Cut Down all the Trees And See What that Will Do..............Pump out A few More Billion Babe Humans & that will Change Our climate.............Its Plain as Day to Me that We have a input in the weather & Climate , Just as we have changed the Plant we live on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I Personally believe As the world Changes So does the Climate to Match. Cover the Planet in trees & The Climate would be vary different. Or Cut Down all the Trees And See What that Will Do..............Pump out A few More Billion Babe Humans & that will Change Our climate.............Its Plain as Day to Me that We have a input in the weather & Climate , Just as we have changed the Plant we live on.
As I've said before, I'm a "climate denier"; however, I agree with everything you've said. We humans are and do have an effect on the climate as do all other organisms on earth.

All I "deny" (or more accurately, disagree with...) is that it's all bad. I definitely disagree with the 350.org movement, that's just crazy. This is such a large and complicated subject, which I've read quite a bit about, so I just can't agree with all the scary stories being forecast'ed by the crazy activists. I've been hearing them for years and much of them have already been shown wrong.

However, it is a very important area for scientific study and wish one day this will leave the political arena, but that will just mean something else has take its place...Can't win for losing:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My input on this, and just a personal opinion.

Without any doubt, the climate is changing. I suspect though that this is mostly due to a natural climate cycle. There is evidence to support this. Anyone that has read my post on one of the other threads will realise that I am interested in the Viking culture. What has this to do with climate change, you may (or may not!) ask? Well, if we look back to their time, we will see that there is evidence that they were growing grain crops on Greenland from about the year 1000 AD or thereabouts. That would suggest that the climate at that time was warmer than it is now.

Around that time in what is now the UK, they founded communities by sailing their Longships up waterways that are now so shallow they can be walked across. That also suggests that water levels were higher than today. Probably because the Polar Ice caps were not as large.

By the time the 1300's had arrived, it was no longer possible for their descendants to grow crops on Greenland due to the climate having become too cold.

As the years passed, things did become colder. This continued until the 1800's.I'm not quite sure of the exact year, but if my memory serves, the last time the River Thames froze over was in the early 1800's. The period between around 1350 and 1850 is sometimes known as the "Mini Ice Age." Then, things warmed up again, they are continuing to do so today, and probably will for another few hundred years.

Are humans contributing to the climate change? Well, as someone wrote, everything on the planet affects the climate. Possibly, humans do it more than most things, due to stupidity. Theres are good examples regarding this. "Greenies" consider Carbon Dioxide to be a greenhouse gas, and therefore a major influence on Climate Change. Assuming that to be true, then why do we have catalytic converters on cars? Its estimated that the fitment of these increases each cars CO2 emissions by around 80%!!!!!

Back when I was a child, people walked to the shops, and did their shopping in the village I lived. Nowadays, they drive to some big store outside of town. Stores that quite often are built on prime farmland! As children, we walked or cycled to school. Nowadays, it seems that parents have to do "school runs" in their cars. All of this adds to pollution, not to mention declines in health!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw something so odd in the Netherlands, the winter over there was so dang short and warm it felt more like a really chilly autumn! The strangest thing was that things had already started blooming!!! It was crazy, by February 1st things were so darn green like there was never a winter and blooms were already there. I'm talking about the north!
The climate in the Netherlands is why they grow horticultural stuff for the whole world. Mild, short winters, and long, mild summers with plenty of moisture.

Ask a Question