Is anybody else seeing signs of climate change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Climate does change. I read a lot of British history and going back through the ages the weather patterns back then, year after year, could be just as extreme as we have now. The likes of Bede a Benedictine monk who lived during the late 7th and early 8th century, and also 'The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles' tell me/us such. What we are experiencing now weather wise I believe to be a natural phenomenon as the planet we live on goes through one of it's many cycles, from ice ages to so called global warming. The human race isn't completely guilt-less though with what we discard into the air, land and seas. However, it's recently been announced that the hole in the Ozone Layer has now almost completely closed. Something to think on?
Brilliant as usual @Sheal. Well pointed. What year were the propellants in spray cans changed toward that end? 30 years ago? 40?Recently, the soil sterilizing agents were observed to gas off to a similiar negative effect and (bromides?) were eliminated from use due to the incredible surface areas they were being applied to for crops. Hopefully similar effects will be enjoyed. How this balances against cooling is beyond me, but it does bring up the idea of creating warm when cooling and cooling when warming as we wobble about the universe on our wild planet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you DM. :) I've just checked and chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's) were banned from aerosols in 1978 and more recently in 1996 were banned from use in refrigerators etc. Unfortunately we don't seem to suspect any chemicals we use are having a bad effect on the planet until they have been in use many years. Then someone makes the discovery and it takes many more years before the use of them is stopped and by then the damage is done.

With due respect to America and many other nations, I can't help thinking it's about time the 'gas guzzlers' - cars with large engines, were reduced greatly. This would improve the atmosphere and effects on the planet and climate greatly. May be this is being ignored because of the cheap cost of gas/petrol so people can afford to keep them running without considering the damage they do. Conversion from litres that we use here - I am currently paying approximately £6 or 7.5 USD for a gallon of unleaded petrol and diesel is more expensive. My car has a 1.6 litre engine but a 1.2 or 1.4 litre is very common in Britain now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
86FCDB1A-2445-4306-9968-E944E5956146.jpeg
35310C03-3FBF-4978-BCF5-088B6D2D6D6A.jpeg
I’m feeling it
Only the 2 nd time I remember it snowing on my birthday
That includes 21 years i Chicago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Climate change is all about political power. It was from the start by the people who thought it up to break the coal union's hold when it was called global warming. Right now Macron is learning what happens when people are tired of this control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say it's all about political power La Garden. Our climate is definitely changing but there are many politicians, scientists, media etc. that like to try and reap the benefits by scaremongering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It would be nice if it did not all go back to politics. Directly or indirectly it dose.
The climate is always changing, It is a good 10 degrees warmer outside right now then this morning when I first went outside--that is climate change. As others have already pointed out, real good records on temp only go back a few years. The US is the only place where it goes back over 100 years.
If you really want to do some looking dig into how NOAA and NASA have went back and changed data. The only problem with them changing some computer files is old news print/papers tells another story.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It would be nice if it did not all go back to politics. Directly or indirectly it dose.
The climate is always changing, It is a good 10 degrees warmer outside right now then this morning when I first went outside--that is climate change. As others have already pointed out, real good records on temp only go back a few years. The US is the only place where it goes back over 100 years.
If you really want to do some looking dig into how NOAA and NASA have went back and changed data. The only problem with them changing some computer files is old news print/papers tells another story.

Currently my muse is to introduce spinach as a meat curing compound that exceeds allowable limits for nitrate concentration. Calm yourself and avoid this form of advertising, which is new to us, but maybe not to the kids. If you allow your focus to become the focus of this advertising message, zombification happenz. Then all the enchanted speak with the same voice.

Ask a Question