Insect Pest attacking Tropical Milkweed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are two pics. The first is a Butterfly weed. 'Asclepias incarnata' The second is a common Milkweed. 'Asclepias tuberosa'
Sorry the second pic is out of focus, but you get the idea.
Wish I could tell you exactly what type they are, as I never gave it much thought due to their harmless nature. If you look closely at the first pic, you will also see a few beetle type bugs with wings. This is a bug (The milkweed bug, Oncopeltus fasciatus) you don't want on your milkweed, so keep a close eye out for them. Here is a link from a backyard gardener about the devastation they can cause. http://markcz.com/butterfly-weed-milkweed-bugs/

Thanks Llcenter. I had a similar infestation last year with the Yellow Oleander Aphids and purchased several sets of Ladybug beetles to get rid of them. I also used some organicide to help control the really bad spots. Eventually, the winter season did them in (if you want to call it "winter season" in C. FL.). I now have a lot of ladybug larvae on the plants that seem to be keeping them under control this season. BUT...the difference between this year and last is this black, tiny insect. Still unsure if it's a beetle or an aphid (leaning toward an aphid). Would really like to know the species so I can find it's natural predator

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Would really like to know the species so I can find it's natural predator

I'd be willing to bet the natural predator is lacewings and/or assassin bugs. You can also try placing a trap crop next to the milkweed. I don't get into naming the aphids, lol, I just eradicate them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Could it be ladybug larvae you are seeing?
https://www.google.com/search?q=lad...v&sa=X&ei=pqIfVaaNFcWDsAXP64HYAw&ved=0CB0QsAQ
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You should know that purchasing ladybugs to control aphids means that you may not have caterpillars on your milkweed. Some of the same predatory bugs that eat the aphids will also eat the monarch eggs and hatching larvae. The best way to control aphids is either soapy water with a little oil, or just swiping and squishing them.

Ask a Question