Unknown Sucking Insect

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can anyone ID this insect? I see them on my Meyer Lemon tree; there are many, many of them sucking on the leaves. I've noticed that once in a while the little birds eat them, so I'm thinking of moving one of my bird feeders next to the tree to get the birds over there...

010.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, that looks a lot like what I have; my problem is that I can't get a better picture because these things are super small. When I first saw them (without aid of magnification) I thought they were some type of little "inch worm", because I couldn't even make out the wings -- they look like the number "8" or the Infinity symbol sitting on the underneath section of the leaves. Nasty little bugs:mad:

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Asian Citrus Psyllid (Diaphorina citri) is a true bug (Hemiptera) in the family Liviidae of the superfamily Psylloidea.
Originally native to southern Asia, the Asian Citrus Psyllid. has spread to the Arabian Peninsula, islands in the Indian Ocean and much of the New World tropics and subtropics including South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico, and the United States (including Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Texas).

Diaphorina citri feeds on several genera of the Rue Family (Rutaceae) including Citrus, Murraya, and Severinia. Besides damaging plants with their sucking mouthparts, these insects can also spread Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus the bacteria that causes Citrus Greening Disease, also known as huánglóngbìng (HLB). There is also evidence that they can spread Citrus Tristeza Virus (CTV) as well.

Ask a Question