Incrediball hydrangea-- plant just collapses with blooms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i put in a hedge of "incrediball" hydrangeas. The blooms are stunning, but the shrub doesn't seem to support those heavy blooms. Does anyone use supports for these and if you do, what? I'm disappointed, but I don't have the money to replace this hedge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya DanielleM
I grow the paniculata hydrangeas....similar to yours in that they flower on new wood. Similar too in that the flower heads are massive.
I find pruning makes a difference....pruning to fhe ground produces thin branches; I prune half way to achieve a much more self supporting branch network. Thus my (Limelight) does not droop - it will flower in a few days.
Did you prune back hard at planting time to produce a good solid structure? Then you could partially prune every year
Failing this supports would have to be employed :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been known to unfold clothes hangers(the old fashioned wire kind) and support the larger flowers on it, stuck in the ground next to it's branch. Verdun is right about leaving a few old branches when you prune to form a support for next year's growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_6730.JPG
Hiya DanielleM
I grow the paniculata hydrangeas....similar to yours in that they flower on new wood. Similar too in that the flower heads are massive.
I find pruning makes a difference....pruning to fhe ground produces thin branches; I prune half way to achieve a much more self supporting branch network. Thus my (Limelight) does not droop - it will flower in a few days.
Did you prune back hard at planting time to produce a good solid structure? Then you could partially prune every year
Failing this supports would have to be employed :)
I have a 'Limelight' too! It supports itself wonderfully! It seems very different to me. I don't see much wood at all on this Incrediball. The Incrediball is experiencing it's 2nd season with me and I did not prune it at all. I'm hoping as it matures maybe it will better support itself. They look good in photo, but as rain hits and more blooms come, the shrubs are laying down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have been fussy with my huge Annabells for a couple years. they are so laden with huge flowers its nuts. finally I have to bit the bullet and---next spring, buy some 3 inch wire fencing, and in spring, about May, just make a circle around the shrub to give it support for when the blooms come. they do stay upright just fine in bloom, but when a heavy rain it, that is when they just fall. I have in the past, only pruned them half way down thinking the dead branches would help support the bloom, perhaps that is a smidget of help, but not enough. so that is my job next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I partially prune every year after the flowers have died mulch with Horse manure and dig in MG granular feed....They love to be over watered..Thirsty beggers.

20160805_145049.jpg

Ask a Question