Im trying to plant more perennials but need advice.

Reaction score
One of the plants finally put up flowers this year. The one I didn't divide that has the "invader" in it hasn't shown any signs of flowering though. My mom put all hers in the ground and even she only got one flower head. Yet when we ride around town we see other agapanthas plants with multiple flower heads. (sigh) My mini gladiola haven't yet bloomed this year either.

Well all I can say is that as your Agapanthus has finally produced a flower - that its really good news - especially as like I previously mentioned - Agapanthus take quite a few years to get established and rarely flower in their first year after being planted let alone after being divided - so although you may feel a little disappointed that the one you divided has only had one flower this year - don't give up on it yet - as the fact that it has produced a flower this year is a good sign - as it means that it is now getting established and from next year onwards will be rewarding you with abundant displays of blooms that will increase in quantity year after year - that is providing you don't get tempted to divide it again in the very near future :D

The only reason I can think of - as to why the Agapanthus you didn't divide and had the invader hasn't yet produced any blooms - is that it may be one of the other varieties that flowers at a different time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, @gata montes. I shouldn't have to divide it again because I only did that in the first place to multiply the plant and I've moved it to a larger pot to give it more root space (the real reason I think it flowered). The one I did not divide will have to be turned out so so I can try and separate it from the invader that in growing in the pot with it. I won't bother with that though until I get done with some other things.

Ask a Question