Thinking about trying air plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was looking at images of terrariums online and saw a photo of three miniature vases with little plants that were set inside tall cylindrical vases. The air plants don't do well in traditional terrariums so these were displayed attractively in a way to allow them to get enough air. I now have something new to add to my ever growing list, lol!

Tillandsia.jpg

Have any of you grown air plants before?

Reaction score
As we briefly discussed in your other post about Terrariums, Air Plants and Terrariums are synonymous in the sense that an Air Plant can be enclosed in a small vase or other glass/plastic container. Like the ones you show pictured above. I've had a couple Air Plants in the past but they really didn't impress me and as much as I adore plants and horticulture, I just could not get into the plants.

I think it was because I am not a fan of artificial plants. I hate artificial plants, even silk plants. Obviously the Air Plant is real, it's not artificial but it looks like it could be. Possibly, that's why they were initially a turn-off for me, but that has changed.

I just started on an article about Terrariums, I'll send you the link when I'm finished. I'll send it privately, not trying to promote anything..

Reaction score
Those look really nice. I bet they would work well for a table centre piece. Maybe even for a wedding.

I would like to look more into these types of plants as decorative elements around the house. Are they easily sourced?

Reaction score
That looks so pretty now you have got me wanting to set up a Terrarium. My husband will throw me out if I bring in any more plants :) LOL the poor guy is fed up of plants everywhere in this medium sized apartment of ours.
I am going to go hunting for air plants I haven't seen them in nurseries around here.. however there are orchids that hang from coconut husks in the nurseries here, may take a look at those too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As we briefly discussed in your other post about Terrariums, Air Plants and Terrariums are synonymous in the sense that an Air Plant can be enclosed in a small vase or other glass/plastic container. Like the ones you show pictured above. I've had a couple Air Plants in the past but they really didn't impress me and as much as I adore plants and horticulture, I just could not get into the plants.

I think I am fascinated more by the idea of them than anything.

Those look really nice. I bet they would work well for a table centre piece. Maybe even for a wedding.

I would like to look more into these types of plants as decorative elements around the house. Are they easily sourced?

I was thinking that same thing! I would like to use them as a decorative element as well, but not sure what their requirements are. I think I have seen them in garden centers before.

That looks so pretty now you have got me wanting to set up a Terrarium. My husband will throw me out if I bring in any more plants :) LOL the poor guy is fed up of plants everywhere in this medium sized apartment of ours.
I am going to go hunting for air plants I haven't seen them in nurseries around here.. however there are orchids that hang from coconut husks in the nurseries here, may take a look at those too.

Ha Ha! I just got some local compost, so I am about to give my plants a boost, and probably expand just a little bit more. I wish I could get some coconut husks to plant in. They seem like a good eco-friendly alternative.

Those look great! I like to imagine little people living under them :D
LOL!

Reaction score
I had a air plant, I understand what taskeinc is saying, I am constantly expecting a plant to do something. Air plants look the same all the time. Bloom, grow, dance, change colors do something :eek: ! I like the concept, so I don't knock them, the way they look in a vase as pictured above is really nice. The display is very important for the air plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had a air plant, I understand what taskeinc is saying, I am constantly expecting a plant to do something. Air plants look the same all the time. Bloom, grow, dance, change colors do something :eek: ! I like the concept, so I don't knock them, the way they look in a vase as pictured above is really nice. The display is very important for the air plant.

How do they look the same? Don't they grow? Don't they bloom? There's such a variety of them, and the variegated ones are even more unusual.

Reaction score
There is variety to them ChannellG, The one I bought was already in bloom with a purple flower. Eventually, it lost the purple flower and didn't flower again. I like to see my plants, flower and yield fruit. There are different kinds of air plants, but I am just speaking of my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read somewhere that the biggest issue with air plants is proper watering. I think that is why people who don't have success with them move on to other plants. I don't know of any that fruit, or rather produce edible fruit, but I haven't really looked into it. Roses produce a fruit, but almost no one grows them for the hips. I just like growing things and even green plants with no variegation in foliage are gorgeous to me.

Ask a Question