Thinking of Japanese features in the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
DSCN6137.jpg

DSCN6136.jpg

I recently had 'John's Little Acre' completely cleared of an invasive bramble, a wandering clematis (from next door) and I had some overgrowth of my shrubs thinned out. What I have left is shown in the pics.

I want to grow one or two more Japanese Maples, visible from the house, and I wondered about a Japanese influenced make-over. I'm not necessarily looking for a 'going the whole hog' solution, but I think my plot is suitable for one or two 'overtones' to suggest a relaxing oasis. Somewhere I can crack a few tins, and lie back to think of nothing in particular. (In fact, during the daytime my neighbourhood is quite peaceful, and as my plot is walled on two sides I do have a certain amount of seclusion; especially when the Forsythia and the Duetsia (spelling?) are in full growth.

So looking at the images are there any enthusiasts of the Japanese style who could say if I am on the right track. (I am able to build gazebos and arbours myself BTW.) With a little help from Number One Son, who supplies the muscle. Does anyone think The Japanese look would suit my three level plot?

Oh dear. I can't upload images from my PC... :(
I am not good with photobucket...
I'll be back asap! :rolleyes:

Thanks in anticipation.
John

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Japanese maples will make a nice addition in your surrounding! It is already beautiful, so with the Japanese maples, it will add another vibrant color! I like the idea, especially when you said "going the whole hog" part :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Icy,

I never had my plot described as beautiful, so especially thanks. I fear the lawn got very overgrown, and it 'couched' all over the place. So I am in the process of saving a few pounds to have a new lawn laid, using turves. Seed would be okay, but the birds around here line up for a free meal already!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your plot is very pretty as it is, the addition of Japanese Maple will enhance the beauty even more. I can see you enjoying your space right now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh it IS beautiful! That was the first thought that came to my mind. I would definitely go with the Japanese maples, and I would be tempted to do a bonsai or two as well. I'm very fond of Japanese influence, especially the Sakura Cherry Blossom. I hope you get it fixed up the way you want it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think a Japanese theme for your garden is a great idea. John. ( I hope I've remembered correctly that your name is John). You already have 2 very established and lovely maples. And it already looks peaceful. God luck and keep us in the picture please :)

Reaction score
Hi Wobblycogs :)

As I like architectural plants and love how the clean cut minimalist Japanese style really compliments the bold outlines of those plants and therefore the majority of gardens have always had this theme - I think I could be described as an enthusiast of this style of gardening - in fact just looking at your photos - immediately has an abundance of ideas popping into my head.

However - as you are already very definitely on track and I'm currently bursting with ideas - but trying to kerb them - the one change that immediately leaps out at me - which you may not like - is to get rid of the grass and replace it with paving or gravel interspersed with irregularly shaped stepping stones made out of something similar to the paving you already have - as doing that will blend in with your paved area and keep the flow - a few huge rocks dotted here and there would be good - as would a pebble pool or something similar too.

As acers generally lose their leaves in winter - one plant I would highly recommend considering to go with a Japanese theme - is Nandinia Domestica - which although commonly known as Heavenly or Sacred Bamboo is NOT a member of the bamboo family - as its colors and especially through the winter are absolutely stunning.

One little tip though - as I know its often very difficult not to want to have all kinds of plants in our gardens - as Japanese themes always looks best when kept minimalist - try to stick with a theme of possibly no more than five or so different plant varieties - as mixing too many varieties and having too many plants makes them look too busy and cluttered – which detracts from their beauty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I agree that the nandina domestica would be a lovely addition. I have just bought a new one, new to my local nursery anyway called nandina filaments. Evergreen and the tag says starts out reddish and changes to orange, bronze and purplish red in autumn and winter. I haven't decided where to put as I want to be able to enjoy it as much as possible. Lovely delicate leaf too.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone for the response. I am definitely going to look a a Japanese theme here. I would like to get rid of my lawn, and use some of the huge stones that frequently get unearthed, and set them down as open cobbles. However, there is someone else in my household who has a say. (Quite rightly so of course.) So the lawn has to stay. That means the washing line will have to go, to be replaced by a revolving one! :) Otherwise a trench eventually gets worn under the line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice plot, John! And great suggestions so far.
How about a small water feature? Doesn't have to be the whole hog with a waterfall and Koi, even a small still pond with some plants and maybe a couple of goldfish and rocks artfully arranged.
For six years I had a 55-gallon Rubbermaid bin buried in the ground, with rocks, a couple of plants and some goldfish it was quite nice. I dug a much larger pond this spring, it's still a work in progress but I'm enjoying the water flowers and dragonflies. And the goldfish love it. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
A water feature is on the cards, I have the slope to make a 'stream' and the varying levels give me a chance to make waterfalls. But as I said, I have to recruit Number One Son, for the heavy work!

As for the Kimono, I wouldn't want to to frit the goldfish, :ROFLMAO:
So even though I can screen the garden, I'll take a rain-check on that! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I"d be so happy with your garden just as it is, but I do understand, and suffer from, the "let's do something different" syndrome.
At the top of the steps, perhaps a simple pergola. Here are some photos--I'm thinking you wouldn't want a gate, but the pergola would be a definite feature without being obtrusive.
http://esshouse.com/pictures-of-japanese-style-garden-pergolas-and-arbors.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United Kingdom
This is true Marlin.

This is a shot from a different angle. Showing the plot's full extent. So an arbour would be somewhere beyond the Variegated Yew, I am trying to train into a sphere.

DSCN6139.jpg

It happens, that I ordered some cedar wood last week with a view to making a pergola, which I want to be able to see from my lounge. I do like the idea of a 'thinking post'; some kind of sheltered seat, towards the top of the plot. I will think about that when the screening shrubs have put on a little more leaf!

Thank you for the illustrations, and ideas. I don't want to get involved in any more mortared brickwork, but I might think about railway sleepers, or plain slabs that I can stack up, rather like grown-up Lego!

There's plenty of material there to go at, so thanks again.

John (y)

Last edited:

Ask a Question