If you could grow one fruit...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I'm jealous!! I rarely if ever see mangoes in the stores here and when I do they're very expensive - the idea of being able to have them all year long is only a dream to me!
they are always coming out with new cultivars that are more hardy. someday they will have mangos that grow in your area. we have hardy peaches that grow in northern maine now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Definitely Granny Smith Apples. Unfortunately, we are too far south here to get enough chill hours. Will probably have to settle for one of the low chill varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
How about jack fruit, fruit in this tree just pops up everywhere branch to trunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In North Carolina we have wild Black Berries. They are every bit as good as the ones in the store but the wild ones have thorns. This would be my choice if I could only grow one fruit. It is delicious, almost bug free, preserves well and requires zero cultivation. The only threat to it is a late winter freeze.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, we have dewberries growing wild here. We have several patches in the pasture and they pop up under trees (thank you, birds). They taste almost like blackberries, and they certainly have thorns! I've made dewberry jam each year since we moved to the farm, and each year I run out before Christmas, so no dewberry jam gifts.
Blackberries do well here, but they are cultivated, not wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Silent, we have dewberries growing wild here. We have several patches in the pasture and they pop up under trees (thank you, birds). They taste almost like blackberries, and they certainly have thorns! I've made dewberry jam each year since we moved to the farm, and each year I run out before Christmas, so no dewberry jam gifts.
Blackberries do well here, but they are cultivated, not wild.

I have 2 domestic black berry bushes left by the previous owner of our property. The berries themselves are indistinguishable from the wild ones. Hopefully we won't have another late freeze like last year and I will be able to collect enough berries for preserving. Our wild berries may very well be a variation of your dewberry.

Ask a Question