I sure can use a power sprayer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi all,
Aside from the introduction, this is my first post. I have 3 acres in central Indiana with a small 10 fruit tree orchard, along with a few blueberry plants and the average run of the mill flowers, and bushes. I’ve been useing a pump sprayer, but it’s to the point that it’s take in up so much time to get my spraying chores done. I’ve been looking at the Sthil R200 gas power sprayer, and the Petra electric sprayer. The Sthil is more of a mist/fogger sprayer while the Petra is more of a regular sprayer. I will only use the sprayer for fungicides, and pesticides, NOT FOR HERBACIDES. But I’m not sure which sprayer is the best tool for the job, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
If I were wearing your moccasins I'd be looking at a 120 V-AC sprayer and power it with a small generator that will provide power for several electric tools anywhere on the property.

The reason is, I've about had it with foreign gasoline powered equipment and with this plan only 1 gas engine is needed for several tasks with the exception of the garden tractor to pull the trailer containing the generator and sprayer.

And actually we don't even need a trailer as we know them. I have one but for most tasks prefer my piece of 5/16" X 3' X 4' marine plywood as a sled. I can haul 4 five gallon buckets of water to spot water small plants remotely and never spill a drop with sensible tractor driving. Try that with a trailer behind the garden tractor.

And if we should have a purchased electric failure the generator could save several dollars worth of food that needs refrigeration. Our 2,000 watt has been called on to power 2 refrigerators and a freezer more than once during ice storms.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have 3 acres and my biggest sprayer is a 25 gallon 12v electric pump that I connect to and haul around with my riding mower.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've gone through several 12v 25 gallon sprayers over the years and they just don't hold up well for me...of course they are used on a lot larger acreage, so maybe on your size would be ok. I'm currently running a 60 gallon PTO sprayer made by FIMCO and it has worked very well for three years now and still going strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've gone through several 12v 25 gallon sprayers over the years and they just don't hold up well for me...of course they are used on a lot larger acreage, so maybe on your size would be ok. I'm currently running a 60 gallon PTO sprayer made by FIMCO and it has worked very well for three years now and still going strong.
I have no pto. If the pump goes out,which is always probable, new ones start around 30 bucks. At 2 gpm, its basically a strong flow hand held anyway, it just has a bigger tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After just spending 5 hours bent over with a 2-gallon pump sprayer I'd love to make the job simpler. The only problem I see is trying to control the spray. At 2 gallons a minute, how fast do you have to go if trying to spray a lawn or garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
After just spending 5 hours bent over with a 2-gallon pump sprayer I'd love to make the job simpler. The only problem I see is trying to control the spray. At 2 gallons a minute, how fast do you have to go if trying to spray a lawn or garden?
On mine I pull up, stop the rig, get out and spray with the wand all around and then move on. It has a dial tip so control is no problem. I put some flags where I stop, because sometimes I take 2 or three days to cover an area. I just let the mower carry and power the load. 2 gpm shoots pretty far up into trees, but not super tall trees. But they make boom sprayers that size and slightly larger that move even more liquid.

Due to the variety of deposit rates, the best thing I could suggest for consistent coverage is to use a dye. It really helps beingbable to see the density.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting that you should mention dye. I used Lazer and was very disappointed with it. I put twice the amount in that was recommended and still could barely see it. It was blue and it just seemed to blend in with the color of the grass. I would rather have it had been red.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Interesting that you should mention dye. I used Lazer and was very disappointed with it. I put twice the amount in that was recommended and still could barely see it. It was blue and it just seemed to blend in with the color of the grass. I would rather have it had been red.
I have been using humic acid which is very dark. Well because I am using a lot, like you are not supposed to do, but then no internet advice works for this acid clay. When the clay darkens I will lighten up one day.

Ask a Question