Unsure if this is Hoya Macrophylla Albomarginata...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, l ordered a Hoya Macrophylla Albomarginata from a garden centre in the uk (Longacres in Bagshot, if anybody knows it), and l received the plant shown in the photos. I was expecting the leaves to be somewhat larger than they are (the largest here is about 4”-4.5”), and to have slightly different /more prominent markings. The label that came with the plant just said ‘Hoya’ on it. I’m no expert on plants, and just took a liking to the Hoya m.a. when l saw it on the net, so I’m not confident that l can identify my plant correctly.
Any positive ids of the plant shown here would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 619545D7-FE21-456F-85C7-C038CF48DD7A.jpeg
    619545D7-FE21-456F-85C7-C038CF48DD7A.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 5FF0F57D-4F39-4A06-B8AF-599DDC14A9BD.jpeg
    5FF0F57D-4F39-4A06-B8AF-599DDC14A9BD.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 192
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @M.S.G :) Your plant definitely looks like a Hoya albomarginata to me. Have you been given the care instructions for it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @M.S.G :) Your plant definitely looks like a Hoya albomarginata to me. Have you been given the care instructions for it ?
Thanks for the welcome, Tetters I just got one of those little wooden posts with a generic label that has half a dozen tiny symbols on it eg the sun or partial shade symbol, water x2 per week etc. Nothing descriptive if this particular plant other than the word Hoya. If you’re definite, I’ll happily assume you’re right! I was just expecting larger leaves really. But it’s still a lovely plant. And £16.99 is a good price l think, considering that a small cutting off the net could be around £10.
Thanks again, Tetters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just searched on the net using only the words ‘Hoya Albomarginata’
, and the one that comes up is a carnosa; which looks exactly like my plant. So I’m guessing that they sent me a Carnosa Albomarginata NOT a Macrophylla Albomarginata, and that’ll be why the leaves and markings aren’t the same in size and appearance. Hey ho, I’ll keep it anyway as it’s a nice plant. Thanks again, Tetters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome. If you can put your Hoya in indirect morning sunshine, you`ll have better luck with getting it to bloom. Don`t be in a hurry to repot it as it likes its roots to be tightly tucked in. Don`t overwater it - I`d say once a week in the summer reducing to once a fortnight in autumn/winter. It will be happy with misting occasionally, but whatever you do don`t mist it when it has buds or flowers !
As the plant grows it will like to have something to climb on.
I wish you luck with your plant. It was a good choice, and when it blooms you will love the strong perfume.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome. If you can put your Hoya in indirect morning sunshine, you`ll have better luck with getting it to bloom. Don`t be in a hurry to repot it as it likes its roots to be tightly tucked in. Don`t overwater it - I`d say once a week in the summer reducing to once a fortnight in autumn/winter. It will be happy with misting occasionally, but whatever you do don`t mist it when it has buds or flowers !
As the plant grows it will like to have something to climb on.
I wish you luck with your plant. It was a good choice, and when it blooms you will love the strong perfume.
Thanks again, Tetters, I’ll be sure to follow your advice The roots are in a tiny basket-like ‘pot’, so l see what you mean about tightly tucked in roots! I have 3 other, common, Hoyas and they seem pretty happy so far, although my wayetii hasn’t grown a millimetre all year! Thanks so much for your advice, Tetters

Ask a Question