Hydroponic Basil Leaves Mishaped / Deformed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I'm having an issue with some of my hydroponic basil...the leaves and new growth are deformed and almost look like they are missing pieces out of them. Here's what I know:

• It is not a bug problem (I have inspected with microscopes
  • Growing in 8" Rockwool Big Mama Blocks
  • pH is 6.1
  • EC is 1.2
  • Irrigating 2x per day
The plant was looking great for the first several weeks...and now I can't seem to get it back to normal. Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts? It seems like it would be a nutrient issue to me.

Thanks for the insights! :)
IMG_20171025_174148.jpg
IMG_20171025_174158.jpg
IMG_20171025_174206.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I'm having an issue with some of my hydroponic basil...the leaves and new growth are deformed and almost look like they are missing pieces out of them. Here's what I know:

• It is not a bug problem (I have inspected with microscopes
  • Growing in 8" Rockwool Big Mama Blocks
  • pH is 6.1
  • EC is 1.2
  • Irrigating 2x per day
The plant was looking great for the first several weeks...and now I can't seem to get it back to normal. Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts? It seems like it would be a nutrient issue to me.

Thanks for the insights! :)View attachment 28869 View attachment 28870 View attachment 28871
If the leaves of your hydroponic basil plant are misshapen, there could be several potential causes for this issue
Nutrient Imbalance
Solution: Ensure that your hydroponic nutrient solution is properly mixed and within the recommended concentration for basil. Monitor the pH level regularly, as nutrient absorption can be affected by pH fluctuations. Adjust the nutrient solution as needed to provide the right balance of nutrients.
Lighting Issues:
Inadequate or excessive light can also cause basil leaves to become misshapen. Insufficient light can result in elongated, stretched-out leaves, while excessive light can cause scorching or leaf curling.
Solution: Adjust the placement of your hydroponic basil plant to provide it with the right amount of light. Basil typically thrives in bright, indirect light, so ensure it receives around 6-8 hours of light per day. If using artificial lights, position them at the appropriate distance from the plant to avoid light stress.
Temperature Stress: Basil is sensitive to extreme temperatures. Cold temperatures can slow down growth and lead to misshapen leaves, while excessive heat can cause wilting and leaf curling.
Solution: Maintain a consistent temperature range suitable for basil growth, ideally between 65°F to 85°F (18°C to 30°C). Avoid placing your hydroponic setup near drafty windows or heaters that can cause temperature fluctuations.
Pest or Disease Infestation: Pest infestations or diseases can also cause abnormal leaf growth in basil plants.
Solution: Regularly inspect your hydroponic basil for signs of pests, such as aphids or spider mites, and take appropriate measures to control them. Additionally, ensure good ventilation and avoid overwatering to prevent fungal diseases.
Genetic Factors: Sometimes, certain basil varieties may naturally exhibit slightly different leaf shapes or sizes.
Solution: If the leaf shape is characteristic of the specific basil variety you are growing, there is no cause for concern. However, if you notice sudden and drastic changes in leaf shape, it is more likely due to environmental factors.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like the grow light is too close. This thread is from 2017 so I don't know why it was raised from the dead but the light does that when it's too close. Also get rid of that and get a good light. Those purple ones are dinosaurs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only shows the front/top of the leaf, when mine look like that there are aphids on the other side.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

That would work. Mine is as strong as it gets before using electronic microscope. But I have a few different ones. This one I like because I have a camera set up for it to take pictures but my computer is dead so that's unfortunately not an option at this time. I have a lot of bells and whistles with it lol. I spend a lot of time enjoying the microscopic world. It's not the best of the best but it's never let me down. I have a couple smaller ones I take with me when I go camping and stuff that use batteries. This one has to be plugged in.

PXL_20230801_185134538.MP.jpg

PXL_20230801_185240970.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love growing indoor basil in soil or with hydroponics. The problem above is caused by a too-low amount of calcium. When using LED lights you need to raise the light high or add cal mag to the water. What cal-mag does, is give the leaves an inner skeleton so to speak to protect the leaves under intense light. The other way to fix the leaf damage is to simply double the space between the LEDs and the plant canopy.

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
My basil plants look almost identical and I planted them in a regular potting mix for herbs (south-facing terrace, full sun). So perhaps it is due to both the scorching sun and insufficient cal-mag.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My basil plants look almost identical and I planted them in a regular potting mix for herbs (south-facing terrace, full sun). So perhaps it is due to both the scorching sun and insufficient cal-mag.
What kind of potting mix did you plant your basil in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When using soil-less mixes the nutrient charge in the mix can last only a few weeks. If you were to learn how to use a basic EC or TDS meter you could tell how much fertilizer is in the mix. What I do to check the EC or ppm is just catch some of the run-off out the bottom of the pot and test it with a pocket meter. So easy to know what's in the soil using a cheap EC or TDS pocket pen.

Reaction score
Country
Korea, Republic Of
I also experienced a similar issue, and I have now managed to solve it. In my case, the problem was related to a nutrient deficiency caused by a bacterial infection (Anthracnose). I suggest adding an antimicrobial agent to the nutrient solution. Additionally, it's advisable to trim off any abnormal-shaped leaves from the Basil plant in order to encourage the growth of new, healthy leaves.

Ask a Question