hydroponics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Curious to see if anyone here has much experience growing plants hydroponically. Id like to get into that, I think. Im growing a lucky bamboo hydroponically and a friend recently got an asterisk ivy or something like that and gave me a cutting that I think Ill try to grow hydroponically. Any advice on things to do or avoid would be appreciated.

Also, Im interested in hearing what you folks are growing or have grown hhydroponically and the challenges that went with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I never tried one, but have tried aquaponic though on micro scale. Sprouting seeds on top of fish bowl, medium coconut coir.

You will find some interesting answers here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well I have a bog set up in my pond so everything I grow in there is grown in pea gravel. I'm not sure if that counts.

Kristof

Brandywine Heirloom 750gm
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been growing indoors hydroponically on and off for 8 years. This time it is Cayenne and Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers with a larger more intricate set-up. Peppers grow very well in hydro but with tomatoes I've had better luck in soil. I think it has to do with root temperature which for me has been warmer doing hydroponics.

There is a book I recommend: Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics by George F. Can Patten.
20170606_111603.jpg

I can answer almost any hydroponics question you may have

Here is my LED and bato bucket set-up that was just sown with the hot peppers:
20170605_170644.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been growing indoors hydroponically on and off for 8 years. This time it is Cayenne and Hungarian Yellow Wax peppers with a larger more intricate set-up. Peppers grow very well in hydro but with tomatoes I've had better luck in soil. I think it has to do with root temperature which for me has been warmer doing hydroponics.

There is a book I recommend: Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics by George F. Can Patten.
View attachment 21888

I can answer almost any hydroponics question you may have

Here is my LED and bato bucket set-up that was just sown with the hot peppers:
View attachment 21887

Hello! I have a question about Hydroponic growth. I am very new so I want to start small, but I want to learn as much as I can. I don't have the real estate available to house such a large project. Do you know of any smaller devices they can help me on my journey to growing my own food? I'm looking to grow herbs and small vegetables/leafy greens. Thanks

Ask a Question