hydrangea's and hardiness zones?

Reaction score
spent the day riding around, noticing them in various yards and really liking them. not being much of a gardener/plant person I had to go by lowes to even figure out what they were.

I want to buy a few for the yard, but noticed I seem to live right at the zone where they have their hardiness limit (Louisville, ky. zone 5). it also seems like the various colors have different hardiness temps? as I looked at different pots I saw...

down to -40f zone 3 ( a darker color at the walmart right next door I got those as it seemed pretty safe)

down to -10f but not recommended for zone 5

down to 0deg, but still recommended for zone 5

then a couple of other colors rated down to -20 and recommended to zone 5

any one else in this zone have any experience with hydrangeas? how closely do I need to go by (or ignore) these recommendations?

thanks, and if I don't respond immediately to answers, my net time is kind of limited right now.

i'll be taking my answer off the air ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
not sure where you live. Most of mine are zone 5, and zone 4. have 13 varieties. many with color many with cream flowers that turn to color or stay cream. Hydrangeas are in three main groups, and only one of which changes colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hydrangeas will grow down to zone 4 and some times lower. I have 3 hydrangeas that do well in New England, even my oak leaf hydrangea is starting to bloom this year.:)

Reaction score
thanks to you both.

turns out I was wrong about my zone, and had the zone order backward (I told y'all I wasn't a gardener). I got to talk to the lowes plant expert when I went back. she said I'm actually in zone 6, but said I should still look for the labels that list lower temp ratings. otherwise I should be ok, so I got a few for my yard. thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you buy from lowes or any other big box store check them for bugs or any nasty things. I would spend a little extra and buy from a garden center.'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
just remember hydrangeas really do not like intense sun. And I have never gotten any from Lowes, Home Depo, Walmart etc. and never will. Just think plants from local nurseries are much better.

Reaction score
too late, already got them at lowes and walmart. they are in pretty direct sun. i don't know how bad that will be, but most i saw in other yards seem like they would get about the same, so i'll have to see.

actually I've gotten most all my plants and trees from them and have had very few problems. the only thing I can't seem to have any success with is lavender.

Tillie

Passionate Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
My Oakleaf hydrangea is in full sun and it seems pretty happy. I mulch with wood chips from an arborist.
My paniculata hydrangeas can handle sun not too badly as long as it is not all day long.
The macrophylla hydrangeas however, really do like dappled shade in my experience. Although the macrophyllas are beautiful, I prefer the first two types as I find they are not as high maintenance. I only water in the case of an extreme drought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
too late, already got them at lowes and walmart. they are in pretty direct sun. i don't know how bad that will be, but most i saw in other yards seem like they would get about the same, so i'll have to see.

actually I've gotten most all my plants and trees from them and have had very few problems. the only thing I can't seem to have any success with is lavender.
We have several hydrangea bushes. I take cuttings from them regularly to sell at my stand.
We have the blue pink and white ones.
They do just fine in zone 7B , Oregon , in the sun with a bit of shade as the sun follows its course.
They are a pretty hardy plant , but I get a little bit of what I'll call winter kill on some of the plant. Never kills the entire plant , just a branch or 2 on each one , so I make sure to snip the dead branches out each season.
And I'll drop a bit of 16-16-16 (triple 16) on them every season as well.
Oh yeah , not knocking the big stores , but I really do have favorite family operated nurseries I buy from.......
Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
We have several hydrangea bushes. I take cuttings from them regularly to sell at my stand.
We have the blue pink and white ones.
They do just fine in zone 7B , Oregon , in the sun with a bit of shade as the sun follows its course.
They are a pretty hardy plant , but I get a little bit of what I'll call winter kill on some of the plant. Never kills the entire plant , just a branch or 2 on each one , so I make sure to snip the dead branches out each season.
And I'll drop a bit of 16-16-16 (triple 16) on them every season as well.
Oh yeah , not knocking the big stores , but I really do have favorite family operated nurseries I buy from.......
Hope that helps.
Check out some "up right" or "hardy" fuschias as well. They take sun well , and come back year after year. They grow in the ground , unlike the sun intolerant hanging variety.
Get some old school varieties from a old school nursery.
You will love them !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love Oregon, BTW, @RINGO , the coastline my favorite. Been there twice. have to get back again.
Anyway, yes your zone there in Oregon can handle the zone 7 and 8 Hydrangea. My zone, I can only seek out the zone 6 and below, prefer the 5 zone or 4 then I know there will be no issues. I also seek out the unique plants in general from companies to have shipped in. I you ever get a chance to travel up to Washington state seek out Herronwood nursery, over on the west side, wonderful plants, and wonderful hydrangeas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Love Oregon, BTW, @RINGO , the coastline my favorite. Been there twice. have to get back again.
Anyway, yes your zone there in Oregon can handle the zone 7 and 8 Hydrangea. My zone, I can only seek out the zone 6 and below, prefer the 5 zone or 4 then I know there will be no issues. I also seek out the unique plants in general from companies to have shipped in. I you ever get a chance to travel up to Washington state seek out Herronwood nursery, over on the west side, wonderful plants, and wonderful hydrangeas.
Perfect !!
I get up there frequently.

Ask a Question