Growing trees outside of your hardiness zone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So a couple years back, my dad planted a Jiro persimmon tree and it died from the winter frost, although it is starting to grow shoots from the dead tree this year.. The tree's hardiness zone is 7. Our zone is 6b. So will any plant higher than your zone not survive no matter what even if its only one number higher?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a friend that has a fig tree in this area, which is outside the zone. he builds a house around the tree every winter, with protection etc. And then opens it up again come the last frost. Also, the position of such a tree would be wise, away from the cold winds and as much in the sun as possible, and close to a building so the heat from the building could keep the roots warm, also consider if you have a septic tank, a plant near there will have its roots kept warm also. However, would not put a tree near a septic tank due to its roots . OK, my thoughts. Personally, I do not want the bother about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Heruga, there are "micro-climates" where conditions resemble a different zone. As Esther said, they can be made, like the fig house, or found. We kept rosemary alive and green through upstate NY winters because it was in an ell of the house on the west side, and next to the stone foundation.
A word of warning--if you find a micro-climate, it may not prove out every year. A freak storm, the loss of a buffering plant, and the climate changes and the tender plant that you are sheltering can die. Stretching the limits is always a gamble.

Ask a Question