How does cold hardiness affect temperature a tree can withstand overtime?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for reading!

What I want to know is in relation to how cold hardy a tree is, how long can it withstand that temperature.

For instance, Satsuma Miho Citrus trees are cold hardy to somewhere around 20 F. Obviously, I know this does not mean I can keep the tree at 30 F+ indefinitely. In essence, I want to know if Satsuma Miho is cold hardy to 20 F, how long would it survive 40 degrees without severe damage?

I'm interested in knowing about trees which do not have a dormant stage. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
it doesn't matter as long as the roots do not freeze. What matters is the number of hours below 45F
I should have "added as to dormancy". Some trees will die at 35F. There is no actual time limit as to survival @ x degrees F. Dormancy and cold hardiness are two different things.

Logan L. Johnson

Caldwell Home & Garden
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
NC Zone 7A
Country
United States
It DOES matter if the roots do not freeze. The sap in the tree will freeze, causing dieback to the roots. If the roots don't freeze you are stuck with a stump re-sprout. All trees, even evergreens have a dormant stage.

Ask a Question