Hydrangea questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I live in northern NJ in zone 7a where summers get like 85-90 degrees average. In this case, how many hours of sun will Hydrangea macrophyllas do well on? I looked it up and it said that in the south they bloom well with only 3 hours of sun but idk how "south" NJ is considered. Its technically central but the summers get real hot so just wondering.

Also do they HAVE to be planted near some foundation/fence? Or can they be planted in the middle of nowhere and do fine? All my other plants are already against my house and there is no more space for hydrangeas to be planted near a foundation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm no hydrangea expert and don't have any but your post made me curious! Never heard of them having to be planted next to a structure...is that for assured shade, maybe?

I have a friend with several hydrangeas, so pretty I took a photo of a bloom last week. :) None of hers are planted next to any sort of structure, and they get maybe an hour or two of direct sun. Mostly dappled shade.
20160727_134634_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm no hydrangea expert and don't have any but your post made me curious! Never heard of them having to be planted next to a structure...is that for assured shade, maybe?

I have a friend with several hydrangeas, so pretty I took a photo of a bloom last week. :) None of hers are planted next to any sort of structure, and they get maybe an hour or two of direct sun. Mostly dappled shade.View attachment 14564
Well I do have one location in my backyard which gets like a 3-4 hours of sun a day but not near a foundation. I was thinking maybe the foundation would provide macroclimate for the hydrangea and thus would be less vulnerable to winter frost damage but idk, it'd be great if someone knows this for sure.
And what zone does your friend live? And which part of the day is the sunlight hitting the hydrangea? I see it wilting in the picture so it must be very hot there if its only getting 1-2 hours of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Same zone as me I guess; she's about 20 miles away. You're right it's wilting, I just noticed that! It was a really hot day in the 90s. I'm guessing what sun it gets is around early afternoon, she has tons of trees and it's on the east side so would be in complete shade by early afternoon on.

That bush is maybe 15 feet away from the house. She has several, mostly along the front but none right up next to the house IIRC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't really like any paniculata varieties. I'm only interested in macrophylla and arborescens. I actually gave away 2 of my limelights to my mother's house too. Besides I already have 4 endless summers waiting to be planted.
So I observed some locations in my backyard regarding sun exposure and turns out that this area that I was interested in planting my endless summer hydrangea has complete shade until 1-1:30 PM. Then it get like an hour of direct afternoon sun there. Its only 1 hour of intense sun so I think that'll make up for the 3 hours of morning sun that they can't get. I know they prefer morning sun but I really don't have another space in my yard to plant it. If anything I can put a table over it to provide shade while they are still vulnerable to the summer heat.

Last edited:

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In northern NJ (zone 7a), Hydrangea macrophylla will typically thrive with about 4-6 hours of morning sun, followed by afternoon shade. While the state might not be as "south" as places like Georgia or Florida, the strong afternoon sun during hot summer days can still scorch the blooms and leaves of hydrangeas. Morning sun is gentler and less intense, making it ideal for these plants.

Regarding planting locations, hydrangeas don't necessarily need to be planted near a foundation or fence. The advantage of such locations is that they might provide some protection against harsh winds or extreme temperatures. However, hydrangeas can certainly be planted in open areas, provided they have the right soil, moisture, and light conditions. Just ensure they get consistent moisture, especially if planted in more exposed locations. Mulching around the base can also help retain soil moisture and protect the plant's roots.

Ask a Question