hydrangea species & flowering questions from novice gardener

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi, I'm in Suffolk County NY (zone 6B) and have some hydrangea questions.

By best recollection, my one hydrangea (pictured) was given to me as a gift and planted in late Summer 2014. The area is part shade, no mulch, soil retains moisture when adequately watered, which I wasn't always diligent about. Meanwhile, Fall 2015 I planted two new macrophylia plants I ordered online, and either the harsh winter killed them or the lawn guys spun them out when they turned the soil this Spring, but they are nowhere to be found. So, I'd like to know the species of this one I still have, as I am getting ready to purchase some more, and this type seems to hold up well for me.

I'd also like to know why it hasn't flowered ever. I read online about certain species flowering from "old wood" vs. "new wood", or harsh winters killing "old wood" so they never get to flower, which I don't really understand. I did find a couple of dead "stems" at the back (shown in 2nd photo) that look like they had flowers cut off them, but I have never cut this plant back.

Lastly, can anyone recommend some hardy species for me with the best possible chance for abundant blooms?

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
there are so many discussions about hydrangeas. I think there needs to be a specific place for all hydrangeas questions, comments, etc.

But anyway, in answer to yours. Some hydrangeas take years before they bloom, I have one that still has not, in an ideal spot and another one that only did once, I moved it last winter, we shall see. But then I have 13 others that bloom like crazy. They are an interesting lot, broken up into 3 classes, and each are unique.

I would just ignore your little guy, water when its try, let it dry out for a bit. and move on to find others.

Some, I can suggest that will really bloom are: the Oak Leaf and the Annabelle. But until then, I will tease you with some pics of my babies.

pink lace hydranga.jpg
lace purple.jpg
KKKKHydrangea.jpg
hydranga no name..jpg
blue hydranga.jpg
Annabell hydranga.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your quick reply and suggestions, and the link you sent has some great info. WOW you have some amazing hydrangeas! My favorites are the bottom two with those giant round flowers! Anyway I will continue taking care of the small one I have now, and am considering the amount of sunlight of my potential locations for new ones, before I make my final decisions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I found that the best and most unique selections for Hydrangeas is a nursery called Heronswood. Its up in Washington State. I had the delight to be able to visit it one year. But, have prior to that had many of their shrubs shipped over, with much success. I have used the very short variety, that only grow 4 foot in a perennial garden. the third picture from the top is from Japan, the flower is very unique. See the picture of it. When looking at Heronswood, take care they do have many zone 8, that is because Washington state can support zone 8 shrubs/plants. In my zone, I focus on zone 6, 5, and 4. The Annabelle is a zone 4. The other picture here is also a zone 4 and that one, is a true lace cap, my favorite thing about it is the velvet top green leaves and the sharp white color on the underside, so when the wind blows it flickers. It is a very hardy shrub, this one I do cut back about half, and it keeps coming back flowering year after year. the Annabelle, you can also cut back about 1/2 ( I like) so that the old stems serve as a cage effect for new the next year. I have never cut back the one from Japan, it starts with a "K". All of these I know I got from Heronswood.
white velvet hydrangeas.jpg
upclose KKKHydrangea.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you again! Hitting my garden stores this weekend; I'll post an update afterwards. I think I'm going to stick with minimum Zone 6, as I am 6B and believe the harsh winter killed my newbies. I also have to reconsider my placement, as my original location choices are only part sun, and I've heard one reason for hydrangeas not blooming is not enough sun. Luckily I also have one full sun location I can use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi again, so after reading the link posted by Esther Knapicius and doing some other research, I picked as the best hydrangeas for my purposes: Endless Summer, which is the only macrophylla that blooms on old AND new growth; and Annabelle, Bella Anna or Invincibelle Spirit, the arboresecens / smooth hydrangeas which grow on new growth AND have the big round flowers I like. I'm buying grown plants locally rather than new plants online, since the ones I bought that way died over the winter, and although most articles suggest planting in spring or fall, I'm planting in summer and will just give them lots of water. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@D Papa Lets clear this up, you said above "your going to stick with the minimum Zone 6. That is not a minimum, that is the Maximum. I also live in a cold bad ass winter area. And I am hesitant when selecting anything in zone 6, I usually go with zone 5 and zone 4 to know it will survive without issue. I may use a zone 6 if it says tough, or I can plant it near the house, or have some structure that would block the wind.

When you look for the Annebelle see if they say on the label then non flopping kind. If not in the first year given a good rain, and when heavy with flowers they will flop down and cannot get up. A proactive approach is two fold, which is---before the flowers start to us a board tie and tie them to a good pole, the other which you can only do going into the second year, is to not cut them down to the ground in the fall but to only half cut them , then the spent branches will serve as a cage for the next years flowers thus giving them some structure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@D Papa, I you are interested in quality hydrangeas, there is an excellent garden center in East Moriches called Bay Gardens. He carries many types that do well in our area. One particular hydrangea I am interested in is called Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird,, and am now waiting for them to restock it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@D Papa, I you are interested in quality hydrangeas, there is an excellent garden center in East Moriches called Bay Gardens. He carries many types that do well in our area. One particular hydrangea I am interested in is called Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird,, and am now waiting for them to restock it.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. The only ones I can find around here right now are big leaf and panicle, everyone's out of smooth hydrangeas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius Thanks for the clarification on the zones... I am learning, albeit slowly! Ok so I just rechecked my zone and according to USDA 2016 map it is now 7A. Anyway, while waiting to find an Annabelle I found a really healthy Endless Summer at my local Stables store who was running a 30% off perennials sale and grabbed it. So now I have two, one Original and one BloomStruck, both are rated zones 4-9, so hopefully they will survive the winter. If I come across Annabelles another time I will refer to your suggestions and get one, I'm sure I can find a place for it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius @LIcenter Hi again, so I'm a bit concerned about one of the new hydrangeas. I planted the really healthy one in a corner flowerbed near the curb, lots of sun and a dedicated IGS mister, it's looking great. The other one I put in a dappled sun area, only gets hit by the sprinklers a bit so I had to hand-water it initially. At first it looked ok (photo 1); I had been giving it a lot of water but the soil seemed to be staying quite damp and I was worried that too much water would not drain enough so I backed off; also the weather cooled down a bit. Last week I noticed the leaves looked very flat and had light green spots (photo 2), and today the whole plant looks like it's wilting (photo 3). Suggestions? Should I go back to heavy watering?

screen shot on windows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It certainly looks as if it needs water badly. Every other day soak the ground really good, and try not to get the leaves wet when doing so. No fertilizer until next spring. This is the time of year when it starts shutting down for the winter, so again, no fert.
I was moving a few things around yesterday, and was quite surprised at how dry the earth was just a few inches below the surface, even in areas where I know I water thoroughly. It has not rained in my area for a good three months, and is surely taking a toll on many of my plants also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It certainly looks as if it needs water badly. Every other day soak the ground really good, and try not to get the leaves wet when doing so.

Thanks! Can I do the soaking over time, say a full watering can in the morning, afternoon and evening? Or should it be all at once? And I should do this every other day, rather than every day? Also, just curious why I shouldn't get the leaves wet?

Ask a Question