Howdy from Texas

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, I figured I should probably say hello now I've become a posting member of the site. My name is Mike. I'm from a small country town in north-central Texas, USA. Haven't put a garden in for a few years now but am planning on having one again this year so I joined this forum to read and get some info before I start putting things in the ground next month.

Anyways, looking forward to getting advice from some of you veteran gardeners and, hopefully, enjoying a full summer of fresh veggies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wotcha Mike, welcome to the forums (y) Meadowlark lives in East Texas and he grows fantastic veggies. I wonder if you are anywhere near his place?

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wotcha Mike, welcome to the forums (y) Meadowlark lives in East Texas and he grows fantastic veggies. I wonder if you are anywhere near his place?
No, I'm at least 200 miles northwest from what would be considered east Texas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I'm at least 200 miles northwest from what would be considered east Texas.
So is the climate different there? Our vegetable garden very often suffers because of inclement weather.
It is also worth considering if you will prepare your soil well enough, and decide if you will choose to go along the ''organic path'' something that may be well worth considering now - before you really get started.
Veggie gardening is not something I bothered with until about 5 years ago when Zigs joined me here in Kent, and so the ground was unprepared. A vegetable plot needs to be improved all the time - each year, and if this is followed in an organic way, the results can be amazingly good.

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So is the climate different there? Our vegetable garden very often suffers because of inclement weather.
It is also worth considering if you will prepare your soil well enough, and decide if you will choose to go along the ''organic path'' something that may be well worth considering now - before you really get started.
Veggie gardening is not something I bothered with until about 5 years ago when Zigs joined me here in Kent, and so the ground was unprepared. A vegetable plot needs to be improved all the time - each year, and if this is followed in an organic way, the results can be amazingly good.

I'm not sure what the weather is like in east Texas, honestly. I've been through there occasionally but never been there for any extended periods of time, and don't have any family living there. I wouldn't expect it to be vastly different, though. The soil, on the other hand, is probably completely different. We have extremely sandy soil here. I don't think that's the case in east Texas.

I'm not going to have a traditional garden this year, in the ground. I simply don't have time to till up a spot and get the soil ready. When my folks lived on the farm we had a large in-ground garden. We'd make a compost from kitchen scraps, chicken droppings, and whatever else to use to prepare the soil in off-season so the soil would be ready to go by planting season. I'll probably start on a plot for next year pretty soon, but I certainly won't be planting anything in it this year unless it's a few fall veggies.

When my dad got sick my folks moved to town. They still have a few acres behind the house for a garden, so I'll get a spot ready when I have time. Until then, however, I've got some chemical totes from farmer friends of ours, cut them in half, cleaned them out well, and I'm using those for, basically, a few raised garden beds. I drilled drain holes in the bottoms, filled the bottom with some oak wood that we already had (don't ask me why...I saw it on a YouTube video), then used a mixture of garden soil and compost from the local Walmart to fill them to the top. We'll plant our veggies right in there.

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So I just wanted to add to my introductory thread that I've been in talks with the new owner of this site about helping out around here and today I was added as a moderator. As some of you may know, from some of my previous posts on this forum, I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to administrating/moderating websites...especially forums. So, anyways, I'm here if y'all need something done as far as the site in concerned...but don't ask me garden related questions just yet because, on that, I'm still learning from you all!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done Mike :)

I'm in zone 9a. Do you think I'd get away with overwintering an Agave americana outside here, only it dropped to minus 8 Celcius for a week last winter? :)

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do you think I'd get away with overwintering an Agave americana outside here, only it dropped to minus 8 Celcius for a week last winter?

Since I've never even heard the words "agave americana" until reading this post, I'd guess I'm not the best person to answer that one. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyways, looking forward to getting advice from some of you veteran gardeners and, hopefully, enjoying a full summer of fresh veggies.
Welcome! Even us veterans gardeners need advice. No one person knows it all. Especially with stuff we never grew and even with stuff we always grow.

MOD

Ask a Question