Howdy from Texas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A member that’s also from Texas recommended this forum to me a day or two ago, so here I am and happy to be aboard. I‘m located near the coast below Houston and enjoy being outside working with the landscape plantings or in the vegetable garden. I hope I can make a positive contribution to this community of garden enthusiasts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I‘m always impressed with anyone that has grown tomatoes or about anything to make a living knowing how hard it’s to manage just a handful of plants. I did once manage 16,000 plus indoor plants, interior landscaping in hotels and high rises where one yellow leaf could get me a complaint, but that’s another story.

I believe I’ve got 20 tomato plants going now, my personal high, mostly all blooming, so that’s something positive. But, danger always lurks, squirrels, Horn worms, blazing heat, fungus, and whatever wrong move I might make.

I have just a few paste types, one Amish paste, one Roma, and one San Marzano. I read just today that the San Marzano can only be called that if it’s grown in a specific area around Mt. Vesuvius in Italy. Supposedly, there’s a ton of counterfeit cans of San Marzano tomatoes on the shelves of a store near you.

Ask a Question