Howdy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey y'all! My husband and I moved into our first home a couple months ago. We live in Texas. There were already two pre-landscaped areas on the property so I decided to try my hand at gardening. My mother always had flowers, saplings, and shrubs when I was growing up, but I never saw myself gardening. Little did I know how inspired I'd get just seeing that the areas were already made for me. Lol I've got some portulacas/moss roses and another flower (I can't remember the name of) in the ground already, as well as a few succulents. I also bought seeds for two types of watermelons (crimson sweet and bush sweet baby), turnips, bachelor's buttons, hollyhock, aubrieta, and bluebonnets. Of course, there are also gnomes standing watch throughout. Both watermelons are doing well, the turnips are thriving, and the bachelor's buttons and hollyhock have wonderful sprouts! The aubrieta seeds haven't begun to sprout yet, and they've been planted for just under two weeks now in a starter pot. I'm wondering if they're just slow to sprout or if I've done something wrong? Anyway, I'm excited to share this journey with people and get some advice along the way! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hey y'all! My husband and I moved into our first home a couple months ago. We live in Texas. There were already two pre-landscaped areas on the property so I decided to try my hand at gardening. My mother always had flowers, saplings, and shrubs when I was growing up, but I never saw myself gardening. Little did I know how inspired I'd get just seeing that the areas were already made for me. Lol I've got some portulacas/moss roses and another flower (I can't remember the name of) in the ground already, as well as a few succulents. I also bought seeds for two types of watermelons (crimson sweet and bush sweet baby), turnips, bachelor's buttons, hollyhock, aubrieta, and bluebonnets. Of course, there are also gnomes standing watch throughout. Both watermelons are doing well, the turnips are thriving, and the bachelor's buttons and hollyhock have wonderful sprouts! The aubrieta seeds haven't begun to sprout yet, and they've been planted for just under two weeks now in a starter pot. I'm wondering if they're just slow to sprout or if I've done something wrong? Anyway, I'm excited to share this journey with people and get some advice along the way! :)
Hello, welcome to the forum. The average Aubrieta seed sprouts between 2 and 3 weeks after sowing. As it is best planted between late winter and early summer, your seeds might take a little longer to germinate. But if they still don't sprout after a few weeks, there are several possible reasons for this:

-It was too hot. Temperatures below 22°C are recommended for the Aubreita (18°C is the best).
-The soil is too dry or wet. Aubreita seeds don't require a lot of water.
-They were eaten. Mice, birds and some insects love eating seeds. Use clothes or nets to cover the seeds.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, welcome to the forum. The average Aubrieta seed sprouts between 2 and 3 weeks after sowing. As it is best planted between late winter and early summer, your seeds might take a little longer to germinate. But if they still don't sprout after a few weeks, there are several possible reasons for this:

-It was too hot. Temperatures below 22°C are recommended for the Aubreita (18°C is the best).
-The soil is too dry or wet. Aubreita seeds don't require a lot of water.
-They were eaten. Mice, birds and some insects love eating seeds. Use clothes or nets to cover the seeds.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! That's good information to have and know. I'll be sure to continue keeping an eye out for any sprouts. The seeds are so small so I can't even truly check if they've been eaten or not. It is rather hot in Texas so it could be just too hot for the seeds. Fingers crossed that they'll make an appearance though.

Ask a Question