How to upload photos to the site

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you've got a photo on your PC that you'd like to upload to the forums, it's really easy to do :). To begin, click the "Upload a File" button underneath the post editor:

1.png

OR

2.png

Then, you'll get a box appear which lets you select all of the files that you want to upload. Select one or more to upload (you can hold down the CTRL key and click on multiple files at once):

3.png

Once you're done, click "Open" and it will upload them to the forum. Once you've done that, they will automatically be attached to your post and appear at the bottom as thumbnails.

If you'd like to insert one of the photos as a larger image, you can click the "Full Image" button next to the uploaded file, and it will place the image wherever the cursor is in the editor. If you want to insert a small thumbnail image somewhere in your post, click the "Thumbnail" button instead. If you manually insert the image via either of those buttons, it won't appear automatically at the bottom of the post anymore - that only happens if you upload the files but don't click to insert them anywhere in the editor. If you're not sure where to put the images, just upload them and let the software add them to the end of your post - it's the easiest way :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So it does not matter what type of photo file it is, right?
jpeg,img,png,jpg, etc.
It will handle the image types - I'd strongly suggesting using JPG, GIF or PNG though (JPG for photos). It can also do .zip files and a few others for more generic attachments :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can we upload pictures in private messages? I tried once, and I didn't see an upload button.
Until now that wasn't possible, but I've just changed some settings for you :). I had disabled it as attachments can take up huge amounts of disk space, so I had to limit this feature to the public facing side of the site. However, as long as people don't abuse sending attachments via PM it should be ok (as we moved server a couple of months ago).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I am not to sure if this is the right place, I keep trying to upload pictures I have stored in my Library (of Lilydale) I have tried drop and drag, and the actual upload function which loads and then gives me an error although it don't say what the error is and fails.

The images were taken with a Sony Cybershot and are in jpg format. I am thinking could they be to big in size? I have tried to rename since they are all numbered files, and I have tried to convert to another file type. Yet here on this forum they do not work. Perhaps there is something in my setting I have missed? Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am not to sure if this is the right place, I keep trying to upload pictures I have stored in my Library (of Lilydale) I have tried drop and drag, and the actual upload function which loads and then gives me an error although it don't say what the error is and fails.

The images were taken with a Sony Cybershot and are in jpg format. I am thinking could they be to big in size? I have tried to rename since they are all numbered files, and I have tried to convert to another file type. Yet here on this forum they do not work. Perhaps there is something in my setting I have missed? Any help will be appreciated.
You should be good with the jpg file,so my guess is the file size is too large. I had that problem when I first got my camera because the setting was wrong for these types of forums. I couldn't resize them on my computer, so I had to go with a upload photo host (flcker) where I could then resize to fit forums, and or blogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is there a pixel limit on how big the photos can be? I tried posting one from my cell phone and it said that the file was too large so I ended up having to do it as a thumbnail. I really like sharing photos and want to do it more on this site when I find things that other members would appreciate.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is, I was talking to Ian about embedding a photo editor a little while ago, not sure how far we got with that one, i'll have a look :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

How big is the filesize out of interest? If you're on a PC, just right-click the photo and click properties. If anyone else has the same problem, please let me know (along with any error) and I'll see if I can get the server to accept these filetypes :).

I'll see if I can make the server resize things automatically for you - it should to this already, but perhaps the filesize is currently too big and I need to up the limits on the server.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've fixed this problem, I've made it so that files up to 16MB can be uploaded. Once they're uploaded they'll be resized to a maximum of 1200px and shrunk in filesize considerably, thanks to a new script we're running :).

I tried a lot of files today and came up with errors like this:

Photo Fix.JPG

After the changes, I've not seen it since :D. Let me know if you have any more problems.

Ask a Question