How to start pepper seedlings from fresh pepper?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I got a pepper from my friend's house and I want to plant that variety. It's red right now ready to eat. Can I use its seeds now to start seedlings or I have to leave it until it dries up 100% and the outside is wrinkle?

Also can I start seedlings now or it's best to do it next spring?

I'm in zone 10

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In some climates peppers will overwinter, so they say. It might in your climate. I've never saved pepper seeds because I always plant 3 or 4 different types of peppers. If they did too then it might be some kind of hybrid pepper that you don't know what it will be.

If the pepper is already picked then it is what it is, wrinkly or not. I don't see why can't try to start and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are usually a lot of seeds in a pepper, enough to try some now and dry some for Spring I would guess.
Googling "Saving seeds from peppers for planting" got me a whole bunch of interesting looking results and videos just now, I shall be going back there myself in a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got a pepper from my friend's house and I want to plant that variety. It's red right now ready to eat. Can I use its seeds now to start seedlings or I have to leave it until it dries up 100% and the outside is wrinkle?

Also can I start seedlings now or it's best to do it next spring?

I'm in zone 10
When a pepper is red or whatever its final color is, it is a mature pepper and the seeds are viable and will sprout. You can start the seedlings now but shorter days are coming and peppers need a LOT of sunlight. Plant some now and again in Feb-March.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I take seeds from the dried peppers I buy for hispanic recipes. There is an interesting selection at most ethnic food stores. I start them under a grow light, on a seeding heat mat. They grow very slowly, so if they do not get enough light yet stay warm, they can grow under a lamp indoors across winter and be quite advanced yet not too large by spring.

Another growth delay across winter might be to pinch the leader early. It will delay the plant but once it is no longer confused it will develop a new leader.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
When a pepper is red or whatever its final color is, it is a mature pepper and the seeds are viable and will sprout. You can start the seedlings now but shorter days are coming and peppers need a LOT of sunlight. Plant some now and again in Feb-March.
I have two questions please.

1. When I start pepper seedlings, I have an area facing west in my backyard that has sun most of the day, do I put the container containing the seeds in that area or I have to pick an area that has indirect sun?

2. How do I store pepper seeds until next year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. I would go for the sunny spot.

2. Dry them out on a plate then make a little paper packet by folding a square in half and folding the corners over and put it somewhere dry, Oh and write 'Pepper seed' on it so you know what it is come Spring, I learned that early on, so many little packets I hadn't the faintest idea what they were. I thought 'That's alright, I know them, I'll remember'. I didn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two questions please.

1. When I start pepper seedlings, I have an area facing west in my backyard that has sun most of the day, do I put the container containing the seeds in that area or I have to pick an area that has indirect sun?

2. How do I store pepper seeds until next year?
Pepper seeds will sprout without any light but after sprouting they require at least 6 hours of sunlight. If I understand your question you will start your seedlings outdoors in a container? If so and the temperatures are high (88F+) during the day I would put them where they would receive total morning sun until they had 2 sets of true leaves and then move them into the west facing area. I store my seeds in a paper envelope in the driest area in my house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my seeds in the freezer. Just make sure they are dry. I have green bean seeds that are over 10 years old that sprouted up like brand new seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I put my seeds in the freezer. Just make sure they are dry. I have green bean seeds that are over 10 years old that sprouted up like brand new seeds.
Yes, freezing is by far the best way. The World Seed Bank freezes all of their seeds. But, if I put my seeds into the freezer they would be lost forever along with all of the other ancient stuff already in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In some climates peppers will overwinter, so they say. It might in your climate. I've never saved pepper seeds because I always plant 3 or 4 different types of peppers. If they did too then it might be some kind of hybrid pepper that you don't know what it will be.

If the pepper is already picked then it is what it is, wrinkly or not. I don't see why can't try to start and see what happens.
Since all nightshades have perfect flowers, the likelihood of cross-pollination is very small.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, freezing is by far the best way. The World Seed Bank freezes all of their seeds. But, if I put my seeds into the freezer they would be lost forever along with all of the other ancient stuff already in there.
I think the seed bank temperatures would make your domestic freezer seem warm, definitely a step in the right direction though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the seed bank temperatures would make your domestic freezer seem warm, definitely a step in the right direction though.
Actually, your home freezer is probably colder than what the World Seed Bank stores their seeds at. The optimal temperature for seed storage is -18C or -0.4F and that is what they are stored at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just looked at my chest freezers thermometer and it is 5F on the default setting. Obviously could make it colder to some temp but don't know what.

Ask a Question