How to Save My Squash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am a novice gardener and I've been taking care of my dad's vegetable garden. We are growing tomatoes, squash, cucumber, and okra. I've been trying my best to maintain and manage plants as I try to research any possible issues.

As of late, I've noticed one of my squash plants been having wilting and yellowing issues. So, I tried to google and search up the problems, and figured it might be a nutrient deficiency. So, tried to work with that for a while. Today I noticed a very dark green and hard stem(s) on my squash plant. I thought this was unusual and googled it. I went into panic mode because I thought I had vine borers inside my squash plant and then I tried to have 'surgery' on my squash plant by taking out the entire squash plant along with its roots, made an incision straight down the stem to ensure no vine borers are inside, only to find there weren't any.

Now my squash plant is in shock by wilting, perhaps dying, and I feel horrible. I tried to close the stems with tape to hold it together and then packed it with some dirt. I want to save and preserve my squash plant. What can I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you took the entire plant out of the ground you left behind a LOT of roots. I doubt if the plant will survive. FYI for any future thoughts about vine borers being in your squash, look for a sawdust like substance

Ask a Question