Can someone help me save this tree please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s obvious I’ve neglected this tree and just noticed this problem today. There are many brown dots on most all of the leaves on this tree. Some leaves are very brown and curling, while others just have brown dots over the surface of the leaf, noticed from both the top or bottom of the leaves.
Does anyone know what might have happened to this tree, and most importantly, can you please direct me as to how I can save this tree?
I’ve attached pictures to help diagnose

Attachments

• 8EF20526-D00C-42CE-A710-E4C745CC87E0.jpeg
    8EF20526-D00C-42CE-A710-E4C745CC87E0.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 9DE8859E-43AC-42BD-903D-7830756AFFD4.jpeg
    9DE8859E-43AC-42BD-903D-7830756AFFD4.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 541112CB-414D-4557-B866-C576AAC2BE98.jpeg
    541112CB-414D-4557-B866-C576AAC2BE98.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 733E0E95-C0F5-4409-92CC-7900ECF4A131.jpeg
    733E0E95-C0F5-4409-92CC-7900ECF4A131.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s obvious I’ve neglected this tree and just noticed this problem today. There are many brown dots on most all of the leaves on this tree. Some leaves are very brown and curling, while others just have brown dots over the surface of the leaf, noticed from both the top or bottom of the leaves.
Does anyone know what might have happened to this tree, and most importantly, can you please direct me as to how I can save this tree?
What you have is a classic example of Bacterial Blight. At this late date there isn't much you can do. Those are mature spots and they release the spores of this disease. The best thing you can do now is to spray the entire tree, both sides of the leaves, limbs, trunk with a product called Serenade Garden Concentrate. It is an organic substance made from another bacteria. When the leaves drop this fall make sure to rake up and dispose of all debris. Before bud break next spring spray again and once every 7 days until two weeks after tree has fully leafed out. Then keep a very close watch on the underside of the leaves for lesions or soft spots. If you see any spray again. This disease can potentially kill the tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you have is a classic example of Bacterial Blight. At this late date there isn't much you can do. Those are mature spots and they release the spores of this disease. The best thing you can do now is to spray the entire tree, both sides of the leaves, limbs, trunk with a product called Serenade Garden Concentrate. It is an organic substance made from another bacteria. When the leaves drop this fall make sure to rake up and dispose of all debris. Before bud break next spring spray again and once every 7 days until two weeks after tree has fully leafed out. Then keep a very close watch on the underside of the leaves for lesions or soft spots. If you see any spray again. This disease can potentially kill the tree

As you say the disease can potentially kill the tree, does that mean it could die this summer? Or are you referencing a possibly in a future year?

Will that organic spray help these leaves improve or future leaves improve their color or at least keep these leaves from not worsening? Or it that not the goal of the spray but rather to help prevent a problem next year?

can anything be done to preserve or improve this tree’s appearance this summer?

I do say thank you again for the helpful reply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As you say the disease can potentially kill the tree, does that mean it could die this summer? Or are you referencing a possibly in a future year?

Will that organic spray help these leaves improve or future leaves improve their color or at least keep these leaves from not worsening? Or it that not the goal of the spray but rather to help prevent a problem next year?

can anything be done to preserve or improve this tree’s appearance this summer?

I do say thank you again for the helpful reply
The tree won't die this summer. The tree will slowly die due to a lack of chlorophyll because the leaves will curl up and die. It will get progressively worse. The goal this year is to stop further infestation and prevention. Nothing can be done further this year. By spraying now you can probably stop the further spread and help the infected leaves stop browning and curling.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of tree is it? What size is the tree? What is the drainage like? What atmospheric elements does it grow in? Easy to reply spray the whole tree with a fungicide. But, maybe a cultural change or possibly another tree planted would be a better choice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nothing is free it seems. Using man made chemistry upsets the balance and creates voids which other pathogens may fill to your regret. Systemic fungicides are one such tool. They will kill beneficial defensive fungi as well as pathogenic fungi. However, simultaneously preparing for a healthy future while immediately applying a systemic is a pathway. Trees are very slow metabolically speaking, which is a curse for a fast cure. It also means by the time you detect a problem the battle can be lost. Here is a link to some systemic fungicides for trees. https://www.gardenguides.com/107710-systemic-fungicides-fruit-trees.html

As far as contact fungicides go, an inexpensive one I have used with success is a household medicine called betadine. I use 2 tablesppons per gallon of water with a surfactant to keep it in place. It kills pretty much everything but the plant. Even if it only slows progression, you can afford to spray every couple of weeks, because like chuck says this is about caring for the tree through winter and hopefully having strong defence in place by next growing season.

Last edited:

Ask a Question