Bugs in the soil. Can someone help identify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have a few inside pot plants and have dealt with things like aphids and green fly before, however in 1 of my plants there are these little bugs, they look a little bit like lice.

I have taken a video however can't seem to upload it, no point me uploading a photo because you can't see them unless they're moving.

They are these tiny silvery/black lice bugs. They have caused leaf curl on one of my plants. I have now discovered they have migrated across the room to 2 of my chili plants! You can't see them in the soil until you blow on it or poke it then the soil starts moving and is crawling with them.

I have tried my bug and aphid spray on them with no luck. I have also tried starving the plants of water which doesn't seem to work either.

I really don't want these bugs migrating into my other plants. Does anyone know what these might be?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance
smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a bug called Thrips, there are a number of varieties, some fly. They live on the underside of leaves and suckling the goodness from leaf veins. Control by washing the underside of leaves with tap water, gently shake off bugs from pots into a large sink if you can.
This procedure needs repeating regularly.Alternatively chemical control is an option.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Damp compost attracts thrips too. I think they actually live in the soil so an insecticide there would help.
You dont need to "starve the plants of water" Amber but loose open, airy, not too wet compost surface will help deter them. Take the affected pots outside for a few hours....in sunny dry weather.
I grow quite a few pelargoniums and thrips were only a problem when compost was wet; chemical sprays are effective but try the above first. :)
A photo would be helpful though to properly ID the pests

Ask a Question