Can I Save It?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I bought this codeaeum variegatum (I think) from the rejected plant section at Lowe’s. Most of the leaves were dead but it was 50 cents and there were a few live ones left so I bought it in an attempt to bring it back to life. I pruned all the dead leaves off, put in a new pot, and gave it some water since it appeared very dry. I’ve had it for about a week and a half and it still looks sad. Does anyone have any advice on how/if I can get it to perk up? What am I doing wrong? Can it be saved?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi, new here too, don’t wanna give bad advice, but if the soil was really dry, have you tried soaking it for a couple of hours? if it’s just dehydrated and the leaves are still alive, that should help them get back up, at least it worked for a Hortensia I had

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Rescuing mistreated plants isn’t always easy, but sometimes it works out. This time maybe not. First mistake-NEVER REPOT A STRUGGLING PLANT!!!! :eek:(Sorry, it happens almost every time) Now you need to keep it just barely moist and in as much light as you can. If the lowest part of the stem is still smooth, there is hope. Time will tell. If you get new leaves in a week or two you’ll know it worked.

Please, everyone who reads this pass along the advice to never repot a struggling plant. It will save so many people so much effort and plants will thank you.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Crotons are very sturdy plants but I agree with the others that it is normally best to stabilize plants originating from the "rejected" section first. The roots were disturbed by repotting (more so if you had to root prune it) so it may "pout" for a while. Hopefully, it will be fine but no guarantees. The roots do not grow that fast so waiting a week and a half for improvements is not practical. Weeks/months is more like it, considering that there is now less sunlight with each passing day. The best you can do is provide stable TLC. They like humidity and light so start making plans for winter (place near windows or grow lights, maintain the soil moist, not wet, etc). I used to have a 4' hedge that was never watered due to local rains. They probably got mostly part shade but the ends received close to 6++ hours of sun (depends on the variety). Do not fertilize when stressed; maybe wait until later if it already had fertilizers. If not fertilized, use half the normal amount or a weak formulation like liquid seaweed. Then start fertilizing in Spring with a slow release fertilizer. Make sure you do not overwater and that the drainage holes are working. Here is more info:

Ask a Question