Can you save a plant from early root rot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My indoor peace lily has been showing signs of root rot so I inspected it and sure enough there was a bit of of near the top and outsides. About 80% of the roots were fine though, so what I did was remove as much rot/mold as possible, removed the old dirt, rinsed the bare roots (a lot) and repotted with a better potting soil.

Is there a good chance this will save the plant?

I believe the problem was soil compaction since I hadn't repotted in over a year and am good about watering my peace lily (not too much, or little)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Similar problems (Southern Blight) with Hosta are dealt with by washing the roots free of soil, rinsing thoroughly with a solution of 25% household bleach, bagging in clear plastic and leaving that in the sun for ~1 hour. If this sounds like it would be very stressful, perhaps terminally so, it only sometimes works if the plant survives the treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ever considered 1 or 2 tablespoons of betadine in a gallon of neutralized water? It would be far more gentle.

Last edited:

Ask a Question