How to naturally control growth overtaking lawn???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Not to hijack this thread but is this the notorious creepy charlie you spoke of?

View attachment 55619kView attachment 55618
No, not quite as bad as CC. I think this stuff is called winter purslane. Don't let the name fool you. Many types of purslane are native to Texas. You can eat it if you like. Just pull it up before it seeds and DON'T chop it into pieces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But, in the bottom picture that scalloped leaf plant IS. Dig it up completely. Once your bermuda is going good it will choke out the other stuff if you keep it really healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great...

Dont chop it to pieces surely means do not mow it which I have done a few times already.

Thank you again, sir.
The purslane is the one that REALLY sprouts from the cut stems. The CC mainly spreads by underground roots and by seeds. That's why you have to dig it up. Purslane also sprouts from seed but it is also easy to pull up, not dig up like the CC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All I have is a 7" rogue hoe - I'm going to have to order a Bully Tools shovel from Amazon because I hate the garbage they sell at the local junk-box stores. At least I can hack it off for now and get after it when it regrows, and I have a shovel...

Nealy impossible for me to hands & knees it and bending over is definitely out.

Will that invade my Bermuda grass (which is back to being green by the way!)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All I have is a 7" rogue hoe - I'm going to have to order a Bully Tools shovel from Amazon because I hate the garbage they sell at the local junk-box stores. At least I can hack it off for now and get after it when it regrows, and I have a shovel...

Yes the CC will if your bermuda isn't full and thick. Not so much with the purslane if you don't let it flower and seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of the reasons I chose Bermuda was someone mentioned it will invade everywhere and prevent most weeds because it is so aggressive - is that a fairy-tale? I'd rather have a grass problem than a weed problem...

I will hack the creepy charlie in the AM.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of the reasons I chose Bermuda was someone mentioned it will invade everywhere and prevent most weeds because it is so aggressive - is that a fairy-tale? I'd rather have a grass problem than a weed problem...

I will hack the creepy charlie in the AM.
Yep, it's true IF you keep it watered, fed and healthy. It will even choke out st. augustine. But, it goes EVERYWHERE too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is the best news I've heard all year! :D

I have to drive to Austin to get the Medina Grow and Green but I will keep the Bermuda watered well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Yes. I have burmuda and I know it is hard to believe, but burmuda just grows too slow with its dense nature vs the more succulant type weed like that and my personal nemisis, wild violet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. I have burmuda and I know it is hard to believe, but burmuda just grows too slow with its dense nature vs the more succulant type weed like that and my personal nemisis, wild violet.
Bermuda is a HOT weather grass. It is a tad bit warmer here than in Alabama. Here, if bermuda is watered properly one can almost see it grow. Especially common bermuda. Tiff bermuda grows a little slower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
google Medina dealer locater. There are others closer than Austin

I did that, Sir! That is how I found out I had to drive to Austin! ;)

I got after some creepy charlie with my Rouge Hoe - fantastic tool - gets that long root too!!!

Funny enough, NONE of it is growing in my Bermuda but just around the back edge of my grass area in a bare spot. I will have to clear it out and seed it!

Makes one appreciate how nice some golf course lawns look...

Ask a Question