I have no self control!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yesterday it was 73 degrees and sunny. I thought it would be good to start the tractor and let it run for a couple of minutes. Once I got it started I thought I should run it to the garage and top off the fluids, give it a lube and inflate the tires. Once that was finished I though I should hook up the mower and be sure it was in working order. After that was attached I decided to drive it to the back of my property where my tree farm is going to go. When I got there I noticed that the weeds had grown quite a bit. I decided to mow it as long as I was there anyway. I mowed the 2 acres where my Cedar, Spruce and Cypress trees are going and noticed that the adjacent field looked dry enough to mow. When that was finished I thought I would hook up the plow and see if that area was a good candidate for hay. I plowed about 1/2 acre and the soil looked good. No clay! I went to the barn and hitched up the disc and further broke the ground up. By this time it was getting dark so I parked the tractor and called it a day. I hope someday I will develop the will power to stop this "mission creep" I have when it comes to gardening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
At least you got the intended task done. I'll go out with the thought of doing some pruning and end up weeding, planting, watering, and cleaning out the coop and maybe stirring up the compost pile. Guess what didn't get done? Pruning!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mission creeps never happens to me. I went to with son and worked 2 hours solid and would ask son what time it was as I wanted to go in and have a cup of tea! Today, I had a very good excuse - I had a fall because of the slippery clay.

Amazing how much you've chomping through .. @Silentrunning ! Well done and may the magic repeat itself.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope you're OK alp after your fall. (y)

I can only dream of getting into our gardens Silentrunning; I wish it was in double figures here let alone up to 73 degrees; I think it topped out at 7C this afternoon higher than its been for a while but this morning I felt perished as I headed down to the workshop in 3C.

I think our bungalow though is pulling out of the black hole at last; yesterday after a few snowflakes in the morning it turned into a dry sunny day and today has also been sunny; if it doesn't rain soon it will be declared a disaster?

I'm still dreaming of using my new rotavator.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's a shock. Thank heavens I still have 2 eyes. Things will be better, Colin. Sunshine at last has come out, the whole day for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Silentrunning,
As long as you know when to call it a night. Dad always wanted to keep running the combines at night long after my brother and the hired hands hand gone to bed. It was after midnight and Dad and I were the last ones working. Dad on a combine and me in a grain truck. I had returned for another load of grain off the combine but there was no sign of dad. He didn't answer the CB but after driving to the end of that field I saw the combine a little way down the hill in the neighbours field. Dad had fallen asleep went through the fence and messed up some of our neighbours crop. When I walked down to dad he was checking the combine for damage. He didn't even look at me but just mumbled, "We better call it a night."

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Silentrunning,
As long as you know when to call it a night. Dad always wanted to keep running the combines at night long after my brother and the hired hands hand gone to bed. It was after midnight and Dad and I were the last ones working. Dad on a combine and me in a grain truck. I had returned for another load of grain off the combine but there was no sign of dad. He didn't answer the CB but after driving to the end of that field I saw the combine a little way down the hill in the neighbours field. Dad had fallen asleep went through the fence and messed up some of our neighbours crop. When I walked down to dad he was checking the combine for damage. He didn't even look at me but just mumbled, "We better call it a night."

Thank heavens he's in one piece. After days of intense working, I lost all my motivation today! Called it a day at 3pm. Now I've lost my camera. It might have fallen out when I fell.. Several trips to the whole garden yielded no camera. :cry::cry::cry:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday it was 73 degrees and sunny. I thought it would be good to start the tractor and let it run for a couple of minutes. Once I got it started I thought I should run it to the garage and top off the fluids, give it a lube and inflate the tires. Once that was finished I though I should hook up the mower and be sure it was in working order. After that was attached I decided to drive it to the back of my property where my tree farm is going to go. When I got there I noticed that the weeds had grown quite a bit. I decided to mow it as long as I was there anyway. I mowed the 2 acres where my Cedar, Spruce and Cypress trees are going and noticed that the adjacent field looked dry enough to mow. When that was finished I thought I would hook up the plow and see if that area was a good candidate for hay. I plowed about 1/2 acre and the soil looked good. No clay! I went to the barn and hitched up the disc and further broke the ground up. By this time it was getting dark so I parked the tractor and called it a day. I hope someday I will develop the will power to stop this "mission creep" I have when it comes to gardening.
If your ever near Cheshire...

Ask a Question