How to keep your indoor plants green

Reaction score
If you are on this forum then i am sure you love plants, so this might be very interesting for you. If you like tea, then it will be MORE interesting. I recently got a "money plant", i have been longing for one for the longest time. As you may know indoor plants come with the challenge of yellowing. So did my beloved "money plant". By day 8 i already had 4 yellow leaves, even after changing its position on the window 3 times!! Then a fellow plant enthusiast visited my home and gave me the advice i needed. Adding used tea leaves to the Flower pot actually made the leaves greener. Now 2 months with the plant and not a single yellow ;) how cool is that?

Has anyone ever tried this? Do you know why this method work?

Tam

Reaction score
If you are on this forum then i am sure you love plants, so this might be very interesting for you. If you like tea, then it will be MORE interesting. I recently got a "money plant", i have been longing for one for the longest time. As you may know indoor plants come with the challenge of yellowing. So did my beloved "money plant". By day 8 i already had 4 yellow leaves, even after changing its position on the window 3 times!! Then a fellow plant enthusiast visited my home and gave me the advice i needed. Adding used tea leaves to the Flower pot actually made the leaves greener. Now 2 months with the plant and not a single yellow ;) how cool is that?

I had no idea that tea leaves would help my yellow leaves. I have one plant that causes me grief with the yellow leaves. I am looking forward to trying this. I hope my plant likes this remedy as well. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Leaves become yellow when there isn't sufficient light too. Most of my plants are indoors where they do not get any sunlight. The grow light that I have used for the last year and a half has kept the leaves from yellowing.
I drink a lot of green tea and I have tried using them on my plants, I noticed molds and tiny insects and stopped doing this again. How do you use the tea leaves could you give me some more information.? I would be happy to try it again.

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing that Maddie is wondering. How do you put things like tea leaves and coffee grounds on your plants without attracting mold and insects?
Ants seem to be drawn to my plant pots that have coffee grounds on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wondered the same thing that Maddie is wondering. How do you put things like tea leaves and coffee grounds on your plants without attracting mold and insects?
Ants seem to be drawn to my plant pots that have coffee grounds on them.

You have to let the dry out first. I have only put tea bags in my compost, but I use coffee grinds in my garden for plants like strawberries and tomatoes. You also have to mix it into the soil a bit. I read somewhere that just putting coffee grinds on top can hinder the plant getting water. Not sure how, since water passes through coffee grinds to make coffee...

Reaction score
I have one of these sitting on my dining table. I've been praying for it to stay healthy. Thanks to your advice I feel like my prayers have been answered. I'll give this a try immediately.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mix my tea leaves and coffee grinds into the soil and have not had any problems with molds or bugs. Sometimes I will grind egg shells, along with the tea leaves and coffee grinds into a tea and pour into the plants instead of plain water.

Reaction score
I think all plants need proper care whether it's indoor or outdoor, to keep indoor plants green i endeavor to use good soil that is packed with nutrients...ensure that i am using the correct size pots containers/pots...and frequent water and sunlight...that's just about what i do.

Reaction score
I've been using tea leaves for composting for years now, but I've never heard of adding them to keep a plant's leaves green. That's a very interesting piece of information. I've found coffee grinds also work pretty well for a variety of plant related health aspects. Its also great for composting, worms love it!

Reaction score
I've been using tea leaves for composting for years now, but I've never heard of adding them to keep a plant's leaves green. That's a very interesting piece of information. I've found coffee grinds also work pretty well for a variety of plant related health aspects. Its also great for composting, worms love it!

Lol..i guess there is always something new to learn on this forum it adds to you having a greater experience here.:LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is great information to know, my plants have a terrible time with yellowing leaves! Does it matter what type of tea leaves you use? Do you just empty the tea leaves out of the tea bag and into the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I have only used tea bags for my outdoor garden but didn't use tea leaves for my plants indoor yet! I must buy real tea to drink now and I can have them to add to my indoor plant. That is really a fantastic tip!

Ask a Question