How to get rid of aphids in a natural and effective way?

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an organic, but effective way to get rid of aphids? My kalanchoes have to survive this pest every year :/

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ladybirds love to eat aphids, maybe set up a ladybird home nearby? They love cracks and crevices, so something like this would be ideal:

5265.ladybird_5F00_house.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Reaction score
Ladybirds, Lace wings, wasps and some types of birds all eat aphids.. If you can attract these types of wildlife into your garden, then aphids shouldn't be a problem for much longer. :D Try to keep a small patch of stinging nettles somewhere in your garden, as they will attract greenfly, which become food for ladybirds. Then, now in your garden, the ladybirds will move on to aphids etc, once they become a problem. Also, provide feed for the birds in your garden.
Growing herbs is also beneficial, as all helpful insects like them, especially the aromatic ones (lavendar, mind, sage, borage etc). Hyssop can also deter cabbage butterflies!

If these solution aren't quick enough for you, you can also buy biological controls for pests such as aphids. The idea is the control is sent to you, and you apply it on the day you receive it, and then natural predators of the aphid (or other pest) will get to work dealing with your problems. They are living creatures as opposed to chemicals and pesticides etc.. A quick Google search brought this up:
http://www.defenders.co.uk/pest-solutions/biological-aphid-control.html
It says on the website, and I quote:

• Like all Defenders biological controls, Aphidoletes is harmless to children, pets and wildlife and will not become a pest in its own right.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the useful info! I wasn't expecting to find so many useful anwers!

Jed: I think I might give that white soil recipe a try, it looks simple enough not to give it a try!

TheCrazyPlantLady: I might give that a try as well, I'll first test it for a couple days just to ensure my kalanchoes don't feel bothered by the constant spraying :O Thanks a lot!

Becky: Amazing ladybird home :) Thanks for the visual idea!

Gina45: Thanks for the useful links, I'll definetely give that tea repellent a try! I like the fact it asks for stuff that I already have :D

Marie: I don't tihnk I can wait that long :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually leave aphids in my garden - they are food for other creatures, as has already been mentioned.... but if there is ever an overwhelming infestation, they are easy enough to squish with soapy dish washing water. :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Soapy (liquid dish washing) water has worked well for me. The suds suffocate the aphids. I spray and leave it on for a few hours and then wash it off with the dead aphids. Next day i do the same and if i still am finding aphids i will do the same a third day. Aphids are usually brought to plants by ants, so cut down on your ant population with the same solution. I know, people don't believe it because it is so simple but i usually only have to spray one time.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We'll be able to use soapy water again as soon as we leave the EU :)

Illegal at the moment :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
1)Try do brush them off, if you have few plants you can manually brush them off the plant. (use small paint brush or wife's old bb brush ;))

2) turn upside down under running tap water, to flush them off from under leaves.

3) use baby powder/ camphor around the pot to ward off ants (I have not tried this, but might work)

4) go with zigs and Beverly , it works(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
We'll be able to use soapy water again as soon as we leave the EU :)

Illegal at the moment :(
How can it possibly be illegal zigs? Besides, look around you. Is there any one in sight who cares? who might turn you in to the authorities? That law is as ridiculous as the law in New York somewhere that says "you cannot swing an alligator around by the tail in public". I would use it anyway, if i got caught i would say "oh no this is not dish soap, don't worry. It is just DDT.:LOL:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Only sensible thing our government has ever said was that they won't prosecute folk for using it :)

Ask a Question