How to design a garden from scratch?

Reaction score
I'm pretty much starting my garden from scratch, and although it's great to have the chance make it whatever I want it to be, it's hard to know where to start!

I've got all of the measurements and put it all on paper so I can get a plan sorted, but I'm unsure as to what makes a garden look great. I have read about dividing the garden up into thirds to have different areas, and having something that leads the eye etc, but it's hard to imagine what it'll look like in real life! So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for the planning stage.

Thanks

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand how you feel. I am also working on planning several areas in the yard. My problem is I have to have a second person agree to what I want to do and we don't like the same things of course.

Reaction score
being in my first home of my own, it's something i've never really messed with 'til recently. so i'm more or less a beginner myself. i come here to look and idea gather.

but what i've ended up doing, not all compleatly by plan, was made my bigger things, and now i guess i'm kind of "finishing" the area with plants now that i have things i wanted about set. truthfully a lot of it's been taking a break from whatever i was fooling with (like right now, a second attempt at a very slow gazebo build), and sitting back looking at it, imagining it finished.

i've been reading and looking at plants at the stores for colors and heights, what grows in my area and when to plant it. wanting some things for color, others for a bit of privacy, and spots where i purposely don't want plants too high. deciding weather a spot i have in mind will get enough sun for an eventual veg garden, and if it'll still have it with some semi dwarf fruit trees not too far away. weather or not to grows vines or something to hide a water tank, and how invasive they might become (expect that question sooner or later).

i've backtracked once or twice. like pulling down and mostly killing some grape vines around the first gazebo try. i also killed off a bunch of hosta when i first moved in (*shrugs* i thought it was weeds) then finding out what it was and how nice it would work in some spots (i just brought 6 this weekend... duh...). for the most part though, just being back there studying my yard myself is helping me know what i want to end up with.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the tips, very useful, and that link with the garden design tools is great! I think part of the problem is wanting everything and having to narrow down what actually fits in the space and suits the growing conditions! I know the patterns of the sun now etc, but getting rid of all the gravel etc is hard work, it's amazing how much of the stuff you can get into a small garden! I think I'm going to need a lot of topsoil to fill the space.

I think I'm going to have a couple of different areas, I'd like a bit of grass for a dog, and some space to grow food, so I'm going to have a go with some of those online garden planners now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like you are on the right tracks, have you got any photos of the space? What kind of look are you going for - country, formal, modern etc?

Ask a Question