Veg garden design and type in zone 3 Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 3
Country
Canada
I'm new to gardening and in zone 3a. It is hard to find info on types of veg gardening for my zone. I can only find till and row gardening. I hope this is the way to build info and knowledge. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This link may help you determining the types of vegetables you can grow, and when.
http://northernhomestead.com/gardening-where-it-is-cold/

I can only find till and row gardening--does this mean you plan to do container or greenhouse gardening? Give us a bit more information on what you plan to do, and if you are container, in-ground, or under cover. It makes a lot of difference!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 3
Country
Canada
I have an in ground garden about 50ft by 50ft. I am looking at the moment to build knowledge and info on that. We may set up a green house this year.I'm a green horn without a green thumb so thanks for your patience and understanding I have a lot to learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. :)

One of your best resources will be a garden center (locally-owned, not big box.) Employees should know best about your local climate, soils, etc.

You have a lot of space to play with! One thing you might find interesting is straw bale gardening...Google that. Heavy mulching will inhibit weeds and also break down and enrich your soil every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I, too, am in Zone 3, and have had success with growing things in bags of soil. We have five growing tables this year ( last year there were three) and a greenhouse to get things started. The bags are nice because they are easily moved from one location to another without disturbing the plants, out of the greenhouse in spring, back to the greenhouse in fall if things don't quite ripen in time.

Ask a Question