How much time do you spend in your garden?

Reaction score
After all the hard work, how much time do you spend in your garden relaxing. Weather permitting, I like to spend time reading and relaxing in a chair in my garden. I live in the countryside so providing my neighbours are not doing DIY it feels very peaceful and tranquil. How about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends. Sometimes I only walk there and sometimes I take a blanket and I lie on it in the middle of my lawn for hours, it's very relaxing, especially if I have a good book with me and something delicious to eat. It's a nice place to have a picnic:D

Reaction score
It depends. Sometimes I only walk there and sometimes I take a blanket and I lie on it in the middle of my lawn for hours, it's very relaxing, especially if I have a good book with me and something delicious to eat. It's a nice place to have a picnic:D

That sounds lovely! I especially like the picnic idea! I miss watching my children running around the garden playing! I used to love sitting in a chair watching them jump on a trampoline! Hopefully my garden will be filled with grandchildren one day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It has either been really, really hot here, or pouring down rain. This is great for the lawn and garden, but not good for me spending much time out there.
In the hot weather, I usually water every evening, and maybe in the early morning, if it seems to need it.
This last couple of days, it is cooler, and I was able to get a few more of the plants that are still in pots , set out into the ground. It looks like cooler weather all week, and we are staying home and out of traffic for the holiday, so I am hoping to get more planting, and some weeding done.

Reaction score
I usually spend on average how ever long it takes to get everything done but every once in a while I will spend a good portion of the day in my garden just tending to my plants and thinking and bonding with nature. Also I will take my dog out there because she likes to sit outside with me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Relaxing, what's that? LOL! Between the heat and the mosquitoes, I go out there to do what I need and come back inside. Sometimes I am out there for hours -- like today -- getting things done from planting to pruning to weeding to deadheading to... a gardener's work is never done.

Reaction score
I spent more time back in May when I was planting, staking and mulching then I have over the June and July. June was really wet with more then average rain and July has been unbearably hot for the most part. I have been going out first thing in the morning and then after the sun goes down just to water them. Even at 11 PM it has been too hot and humid to hang out outside here.

Would love to spend more time in the garden tho!

Reaction score
I find working in the garden relaxing - it's my favorite stress relief. But at this time of the year I don't get much time to just sit in the garden and relax, because during the day it's far too hot, and mornings and evenings it's swarming with mosquitos. My deck is right outside our eating area, though, and it's covered with plants. We have big sliding doors opening on to it, and the forest behind the yard, so at least I get to spend meal times enjoying the deck garden and greenery.

Reaction score
I spend quiet a lot of time in my garden to water it, clean it up, nurture it and just to play around with it. I think they have personalities and they know who I am. My flowers and plants are very faithful to me. They're the most beautiful things I've ever known. I think God is a flower or a plant. I spend about several hours in the afternoon if I could to take care of my garden. I walk my pets around my Garden. I sit in the backyard and watch it for hours while I drink coffee or listen to music. My garden is my life.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being on an 8 acre farm, my family plants and spends lots of hours on gardening. We usually have a pretty decent garden and spend three days prepping the soil and plowing it before planting. We also plant around 16 rows of sweet corn that are around a quarter mile long each. The corn is the easiest and takes about a day. When it is ready to be picked we spend a whole weekend with about 25 people to help pick and freeze it all. Usually a good 8 hours with all of us helping. It is a lot of work, but well worth it all when you have sweet corn year round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will go outside a few times a day to check on my "crop". The different positions of the sun allow me to find cukes or tomatoes or peppers that I didn't see before. I had three 5 x 5 feet dedicated to my plants (would that be 75 square feet, it sounds like a lot...), but this year I'm cutting back to 48 square feet. I'm only interested in veggies, and the heat gets to most them in the summer (my red bells grew into November, however, protected by the large leaves of the overgrown cucumber plant during the hotter months).

I'm moving to a different location, too, which will get more morning sun and filtered afternoon sun as opposed to strong afternoon sun. And it'll be right outside my bay window, which is a good thing, too. I'll probably stare at my plants and piddle with them a lot more this year. I estimate that I'll be looking at my 6 x 8-foot "farm" for an hour per day this year. Can't imagine how much time I'd spend on an 8-acre farm! Although not an obsessive person, I feel that I do monitor my plants a lot.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I like spending time under a tree since its very hot here for a month now. I can spend two to three hours, mostly when I have not gone to work. I can read a newspaper or a novel or sometimes listen to a radio. I also do remember to take a bottle of cold water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I usually spend Sunday's evening in my garden :) . I prepare a grill and some beers and sit down to relax with my wife, daughter and dog :). The other days of the week I usually spend half an hour or so, watering and pruning dry leaves etc...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
To be honest, I spend about 2 hours a week in the garden considering that I have a regular office job during weekdays. So it it understandable that I can only tend the garden during weekends. But my husband is the real gardener of the house so I have no problem. Besides, my passion in gardening is the harvesting of the produce particularly of the fruits like mango, star fruit, dragon fruit, sugar apple, etc.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The time I spend in my garden is always extended. When I am stressed, I feel like I can spend the better part of the day lazing around. The garden is a tranquil environment and suitably therapeutic.

Ask a Question