How much thyme oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m so sorry for you I don’t know what I would do hopefully some on here can give you some advise as it’s beyond me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I spent my 4th of July upset over this essential oil danger. There are no real standards in the field and there are also multiple types of essential oil from the different plants because of the different strains under a common name such as Thyme. In this case one could assume Thymus Vulgaris but there is no way to know. But then there is the use of the word oil. Essential oils are concentrated to a high degree and are easy to transport. They should be called concentrated oils. Here is a chart, and 1% should be the standard, for creating an oil from the concentrated essential oil. Once safe for skin and plant, unintended damage is less likely from what can be called a proper plant oil.

This is generic btw.

essential-oil-dilution-chart-final.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
So if I understand this thread correctly, a mixture of 1/2 cup thyme oil to 1 gallon water was sprayed on a vegetable garden and a complete catastrophe ensued. This would be 1 part thyme oil to 31 or 32 parts water ( so about a ~3% dilution).
By the way, what's all that white stuff on the soil?

Anyway, I don't know about this...
If this actually happened the way it is described, never mind Round-up, just use thyme oil as an herbicide.... unless you're trying to kill a thyme plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So if I understand this thread correctly, a mixture of 1/2 cup thyme oil to 1 gallon water was sprayed on a vegetable garden and a complete catastrophe ensued. This would be 1 part thyme oil to 31 or 32 parts water ( so about a ~3% dilution).
By the way, what's all that white stuff on the soil?

Anyway, I don't know about this...
If this actually happened the way it is described, never mind Round-up, just use thyme oil as an herbicide.... unless you're trying to kill a thyme plant.
Actually no. What is missing is mass. The condensed versions of essential oils per volume are in excess of the same mass of water for the same volume. In short the specific gravity is nowhere near the same. This allows for a higher toxicity than one might imagine possible if one expects erroneously that the density of a pressure extracted or otherwise mechanically separated essence is equal to the natural condition of water or the common solutions and emulsions with which we so often are familiar. An ounce of a pure essential oil holds incredible quantities of plant matter in its history of being created. And like so many things, toxicity is in part a matter of relative quantity or mass to its usage.

Like a small diamond might hold high value and be transported with ease, I surmise the oils came about for similiar reasons over history. 1.25 grams to a gallon of water may well be a generally appropriate ration. That's a 1/4 teaspoon. 12 in a tablespoon, 24 in an ounce and 96 in a half cup. Thats 9600% too much. Try that with aspirin and they will have to call the medics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thyme e.o. is less dense than water. It floats.

However, my point is that this sounds like the most destructive thyme oil in recorded history.... but who really knows what else went down. Even if the original poster is sincerely trying to accurately convey what happened, there may still be any number of other unknown or unmentioned factors at play.
How was this oil-water slurry applied? What was in the sprayer tank before this? And again, what is that white powder everywhere?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thyme e.o. is less dense than water. It floats.

However, my point is that this sounds like the most destructive thyme oil in recorded history.... but who really knows what else went down. Even if the original poster is sincerely trying to accurately convey what happened, there may still be any number of other unknown or unmentioned factors at play.
How was this oil-water slurry applied? What was in the sprayer tank before this? And again, what is that white powder everywhere?
No idea about the powder, and I gotta say yes oil floats and I think expressed myself poorly as usual. I am trying to express this idea of chemically hot concentration as mass and that is not coming across correctly. Thyme and garlic are really killers. Thyme oil takes out 90% of fusarium growth in petri dishes and that is hard for a plant based product to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, thymol and related compounds are renowned for their antiseptic properties. That's why they are often ingredients in 'organic' antifungal sperays and the like. However, they aren't known for being phytotoxic or destructive as they appear on this thread. If a ~3% solution of thyme oil could kill virtually every plant it touches, it would not be used as it is in organic gardens. It just seems like there is something else involved in this case that has not been revealed or known.

Many of the unsolvable thread dilemmas we encounter on the forums would likely be more explainable if all factors were observed and properly reported.

Ask a Question